April 6, 2015

of Sullivan, NH Board of Selectmen

Minutes April 6, 2015

Town Hall

members present: Gary Patnode, Joseph Lewandowski and Laura

heads present: Randy Smith, Road Agent

staff: None

Tom Forrest, Septic Designer

  1. CALL
    TO ORDER: Chairman Gary Patnode called the meeting to order at 6:30
    PM. He made a motion to approve the minutes of the March 30
    regular meeting with two minor corrections. Laura Merrifield
    seconded the motion and the minutes were unanimously approved as

    HEADS: see below


  1. Septic designer,
    Tom Forrest, presented a plan for the installation of a septic
    system at the Deangelis property on Apple Hill Road. The Town’s
    pre-approval application, the plan, and a DES E-permitting sewage
    disposal system form were approved, stamped and signed. The
    E-permitting system is newly implemented by DES. From now on, two
    copies of a plan, a completed Town pre-approval form and an
    E-permitting generated local approval form will be necessary. The
    Board will continue with signing and stamping the plan and two
    approval documents. One plan gets signed and stamped and one plan
    is retained by the Town. Copies of both approvals are given to the
    applicant while the Town retains the originals. The signed plan is
    given to the designer who scans and uploads it to DES. E-permitting
    is in its early stage and as time goes on, the Town pre-approval
    form may become obsolete.

  1. Road
    Agent Randy Smith began with reviewing quotes for the acquisition of
    a new truck, plow wing and sander. The Road Agent received three
    quotes (Liberty International Trucks, Reeds Truck Service and
    Portland North Truck Center) for the truck cab and chassis and two
    quotes (HP Fairfield and Donovan Equipment Co) for the dump body and
    plow equipment. The Road Agent reported delivery would not be until
    October or November because the truck must be built and customized
    to the Town’s specification. Following significant discussion,
    Mrs. Merrifield made a motion to authorize the Road Agent to proceed
    with the acquisition of the truck cab and chassis from Portland
    North Truck Center and a dump body and plow equipment from HP
    Fairfield for a price not to exceed $112,550 with the funds coming
    from the established capital reserve.

Road Agent also explained his budget had anticipated backhoe repairs
in the amount of $7,000. A new estimate puts the repairs at
$12,000. Consequently, he is proposing to purchase pins and bushings
from PB&H equipment for around $1,000 with the plan of trying
to do more in-house repairs.

reported winter maintenance on the grader revealed excessive wear to
parts of the mold board. The highway budget had anticipated
purchasing tires but the Road Agent is recommending immediate repair
of the grader and holding off on the tire purchase. As a result, a
purchase order in the amount of $2,231 was approved.

closing, the Road Agent reported overloaded construction vehicles had
been seen up on Apple Hill Road possibly getting to a job site in
Nelson. He requested the Sheriff’s department be notified to be on
the lookout for these vehicles since the roads are posted for 6
ton. Mr. Patnode offered to contact the Sheriff’s department. It
was agreed Mrs. Merrifield would contact the construction company
owner of the vehicles to remind them of the posted limit.

  1. Through
    Fire Chief Al Henry, a request for disbursement of capital reserve
    funds in the amount of $3,000 for the acquisition of breathing
    apparatus was approved. The documentation for the Trustees was

  1. The
    energy audit report was distributed to the Board members. It was
    determined to allow a week for the Board to read the document and
    decide a course of action.

  1. The
    Board acknowledged receipt of
    Region Future

    from Southwest Regional Planning Commission. It was noted the
    Planning Board was also issued a copy of the report. The Town’s
    copy will be available to the public in the administrative offices.

  1. The
    Board reviewed a checklist of pre-employment documents to be sent to
    Katy Thorndike.

  1. The
    Board acknowledged receipt of the March 4, 2015 Planning Board

  1. Payroll,
    vendor payments and purchase orders were approved. During review of
    vendor payments it was noted the Waste Management bill was $119
    higher than the typical $145 monthly waste disposal bills because
    the dumpster was overfilled. Mrs. Merrifield will follow up with
    others to determine if: (1) a larger dumpster is needed, (2) the
    dumpster is being used for non-municipal purposes, (3) a lock is
    necessary or (4) this was an atypical situation.

discussion ensued. The condensed meeting schedule was distributed
and will be posted in appropriate places with notification to other
departments and commissions. An email from Attorney Gavin stating
the Jones agreement had been sent out and the deadline for signature
is April 10
Attorney Gavin also relayed a message from Mrs. Alexander regarding
the clean-up at her property. Attorney Gavin will follow up with
Mrs. Alexander later in the month. Mr. Lewandowski offered to bring
the Board up to date on a recent trash related communication between
the Health Officer and a resident on South Road. It was suggested
the Health Officer, Laura Lewandowski, could either attend a meeting
or write to the Board if she had information relating to this issue.
A brief discussion concerning the Town’s obligation to provide a
solid waste facility or assure access to another approved facility
for its residents took place. It was agreed the Town meets its
statutory obligation through access to the Keene facility. It was
reported the Planning Board would be writing a response to Donna
Castor regarding her request for information pertaining to 81 Gilsum
Road owned by Richard Jarvis. The draft response had been reviewed
earlier in the day and specifically addressed land Ms. Castor
acquired. In reviewing the initial request through Ms. Castor, it
was determined a response addressing land of Mr. Jarvis should be
included. Mrs. Merrifield will follow up with the Planning Board
before the letter is sent.

    MOTION: Gary Patnode moved to adjourn the meeting at 8:27 PM

Merrifield seconded the motion

Unanimously approved


J. Merrifield

Board of Selectmen