News from the Board of Selectmen

Town Assessor: The Town contracts with Avitar Associates for assessing services. Avitar representatives are in cars clearly marked with the business name on the side and they carry picture identification displayed on a lanyard. There have been reports about someone impersonating the assessor. If you have any questions or concerns about an Avitar representative visiting your property please call the Town Hall at 847-3316 10am-2pm Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday or the Cheshire County Sheriff’s department at 355-2000. We want all of our residents to feel safe, so please report anything that seems strange.

Taxpayer Assistance – Low and Moderate Income Homeowners Property Tax Relief – 2018: The State of New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration offers assistance to lessen the economic burden of the State Education Property Tax for eligible property owners.

An eligible applicant is a person who is:

Single with adjusted gross income equal to or less than $20,000; or

Married or head of NH household with adjusted gross income less than or equal to $40,000; and

Owns a homestead subject to the State Education Property Tax; and

Has resided in that homestead on April 1 of the year for which the claim is made.

The filing period of tax relief is after May 1 but no later than June 30. To obtain an application (form DP-8), property owners can contact the Department of Revenue Administration at (603) 230-5920 (press prompt 2, then prompt 2 again); or go online to click on forms and instructions, scroll down to low and moderate program, fill in the form, print it off and send it to the State; or stop by the Selectmen’s office for assistance in obtaining the form. The forms will not be available until the end of April.

Solar and Wood Heating Exemptions: At the March town meeting voters approved the adoption of the exemptions for Solar Energy Systems and Wood Heating Energy Systems. The exemption amounts shall be in the amount equal to 100% of the assessed value, up to 20,000 (for solar) or up to 10,000 (for wood). This type of improvement is not presently included in an individual assessment but beginning in 2019 property owners can apply for the exemption by obtaining a permanent application for property tax credits/exemptions (form PA29) and supplying the pertinent information.

Applications may be obtained at Town Hall and must be filed with the Board of Selection prior to April 15th of the year of application.

If you have questions please contact the Selectmen’s Administrative Assistant, Kate Fuller, at 847-3316 or