August 19, 2013

Town
of Sullivan, NH. Board of Selectmen

Approved
Meeting Minutes

August
19, 2013 – 6:30 PM

Sullivan
Town Hall

Board
members present: Gary Patnode, Mark Paquette, Laura Merrifield

Department
heads present: Randy Smith

Also
present: Paul LeClerc, John McNichols, Stephen Hamilton, Karen
Luebkeman, AA

  1. CALL
    TO ORDER: Gary Patnode called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM

MOTION:
Gary Patnode made a motion to accept the August 5th, 2013 meeting
minutes as written.

SECOND: Mark
Paquette seconded the motion.

APPROVED: Unanimously
approved.

  1. PUBLIC
    SESSION:

Steve
Hamilton attended the Selectmen’s meeting to bring additional
information before
the
Board to support his position that his manufactured home was not
taxable but
was
in fact inventory. Mr. Hamilton stated that his research indicated
that similar situations were handled differently in communities with
some viewing it as taxable while others did not. He requested that
the Selectmen rule in favor of viewing his property as inventory.

Laura
Merrifield shared that she had visited Mr. Hamilton’s property in
an unofficial
capacity.
She also informed the other board members that they could not make
any
official
ruling on this subject until after the second half billing cycle
occurred. Mrs. Merrifield also provided several documents of case
law where the Board of Tax and Land Appeals ruled in favor of
several communities viewing the manufactured home as taxable
property and not inventory.

Gary
Patnode shared his conversations with the Local Government Center and
the
Department
of Revenue Administration regarding Mr. Hamilton’s property. In
both
discussions
there seemed to be support for Mr. Hamilton’s suggestion. Ms.
Merrifield asked Mr. Patnode if she could contact those individuals
he had spoken with to determine why they expressed opinions in favor
of Mr. Hamilton. All acknowledged that
additional
information would be needed before making any decisions on Mr.
Hamilton’s property. It was also determined that the board was
unable to grant Mr. Hamilton’s request to be relieved of the
semi-annual tax bill at this time. Mr. Hamilton asked how to
address his current tax bill. It was noted that interest would
accrue on this tax bill therefore it was recommended that he pay the
tax bill at this time.

John
McNichols came before the Board to update them on work at his
residence at 158
Valley
Road. Mr. McNichols stated that the requested foundation work had
been
completed
and was ready for inspection. The Selectmen will inspect Mr.
McNichols
property
on August 26
th.

Paul
LeClerc attended the Selectmen’s Meeting to provide his approved
driveway permit
and
request issuance of a building permit for his property at 143 Apple
Hill Road. His
building
permit was approved and issued.

  1. DEPARTMENT
    HEADS:

Randy
Smith shared with the Selectmen that the August 13
th,
2013 Safety Inspection by
The
State of New Hampshire Labor Department had gone well.

Randy
also updated the Board that he had attended the August 14
th
meeting held by FEMA to address damages resulting from the July
rainstorms. Sullivan had road damage
of
approximately $8,000.00. FEMA representative Ken Weiser will conduct
an onsite
inspection
September 4
th,
2013. Randy also provided several documents to the administrative
assistant that needed completion. 

The
Selectmen made Randy aware that going forward he should account for
his time
at
Selectmen’s Meetings on his weekly time card so that he can be
reimbursed.

4: SELECTMEN’S
BUSINESS:

General
business included approval of payroll and vendor payments and the
review of invoices.

The
following issues were reviewed/discussed:

The
question was raised as to whether or not Ed Csenge had applied for a
driveway
permit
for the change in location of the entrance of his Centre Street
property. The
administrative
assistant shared that she had received notification from the State of
New
Hampshire
Department of Transportation that they had approved his driveway
change
but
that she was not aware that Mr. Csenge needed to apply to the
Planning Board for a
driveway
permit. Going forward the AA will forward such DOT notification to
the Planning
Board.

The
administrative assistant advised the Board that the FEMA
representative

recommended
making the final payment to K.A. Stevens&Son Construction, Inc.
and that any unpaid suppliers/contractors could deal with K.A.
Stevens & Son Construction
directly.
This would enable the Town to be in compliance with its’
obligations for timely distribution of funds received from FEMA.

Laura
Merrifield shared that the Planning Board was going to recommend that
Kevin
Wheeler
apply to the Selectmen for a building permit should he decide to move
forward
with
his Cummings Road property.

The
administrative assistant updated the Board on the August 13
th
Safety Inspection by
The
State of New Hampshire Department of Labor. There are a few items
that will need
to
be addressed but generally speaking the inspection went very well.
The actual inspection report should be mailed to the Town in the
next couple of weeks for review
and
follow up action.

The
Selectmen reviewed a request for public assistance. A more detailed
inspection of the application will need to be conducted prior to
making any decisions. This will be accomplished before the next
meeting so that it can be discussed at that time.

The
pending Fairpoint abatement for tax years 2011 and 2012 was briefly
discussed.
Mrs.
Merrifield suggested that Gary Roberge of Avitar Associates be
contacted so that he could inquire if Fairpoint would be amenable
to forgiving the accrued interest if the abatement was paid at
this time.

Correspondence
from Upton and Hatfield, LLP regarding the Fairpoint Appeal/Abatement
was
reviewed.

Correspondence
from the Department of Revenue Administration regarding the 2012
Cyclical Monitoring was reviewed.

Correspondence
from the Department of Transportation regarding the Highway Block
Grant was reviewed. The DOT sends quarterly notifications to
update the anticipated
amount
of this grant.


ADJOURNMENT:

MOTION: Laura
Merrifield moved to adjourn the meeting at 9:05PM

SECOND: Mark
Paquette seconded the motion.

APPROVED: Unanimously
approved.

Respectfully
submitted,

Karen
Luebkeman

Administrative
Assistant