January 27, 2014

Town
of Sullivan, NH Board of Selectmen

Meeting
Minutes January 27, 2014 – 6:30 PM

Sullivan
Town Hall

Board
members present: Gary Patnode, Mark Paquette and Laura Merrifield

Department
heads present:

Also
present: Loren Martin, Avitar, Diane Frechette, State of NH DRA,
Linda Donnelly, and Richard Fleming

  1. CALL
    TO ORDER: Chairman Gary Patnode called the meeting to order at 6:30
    PM. Mark Paquette made a motion to approve the minutes of the
    January20
    th
    meeting. Gary Patnode seconded the motion and the minutes were
    unanimously approved.

  1. OPEN
    SESSION: None

  1. DEPARTMENT
    HEADS: No Report

  1. SELECTMEN’S
    BUSINESS:

  1. Linda
    Donnelly was present to answer any questions resulting from the
    previously submitted building permit for a single family dwelling at
    359 Valley Road. The Board proceeded to review all of the
    materials, maps and answers to questions that had arisen at the last
    meeting. Mrs. Donnelly explained the house, consisting of about
    2,000 square feet, would be of a geodesic design with a pressure
    treated foundation. A pressure treated foundation is poured
    concrete over pea gravel and insulation. Discussion ensued
    regarding the driveway permit, which, in this case, was not
    required. The Board explained that in retrospect, a permit should
    have been required but since the Donnelly’s were willing to pave
    the apron in accordance with current standards, it was not necessary
    to backtrack. A notation relative to this understanding was made on
    the building permit application and signed by both parties.
    Following review of the building permit application and receipt of a
    $25.00 fee, the building permit was approved.

  2. Richard
    Fleming, new owner of 617 Centre Street (former Kingsbury property),
    attending the meeting at the invitation of Mrs. Merrifield. He
    explained that he is currently renovating the house. He and his
    family are living in a camper on the property temporarily during the
    renovations. He expects to be complete between two and six months
    from now. He said PSNH would be coming in at the end of the week to
    convert the temporary service to permanent service, that he has
    connected the camper to the septic and water is currently supplied
    from the Kinson property nearby. The Board expressed appreciation
    for Mr. Fleming informing them of his plans. It was explained that
    temporary housing provided by the camper would be permitted but only
    for a limited time since the Town is trying to move away from
    campers providing permanent housing. Mr. Fleming said he would keep
    the Board apprised of his progress.

  3. The
    Selectmen had previously written to Mr. and Mrs. Roland Fernandes
    requesting their attendance at the January 27
    th
    meeting to discuss a resolution to the deficient septic system at
    101 Gilsum Road. The Fernandes’ did not appear or contact the
    selectmen as requested. Consequently, the Board agreed to pursue
    the issue through their legal representative.

  4. A
    communication was received from Attorney Gary Kinyon relative to the
    Antis appeal of a ZBA decision. The Board authorized Attorney
    Kinyon to accept service and respond to the complaint on the Town’s
    behalf.

  5. Payroll
    and vendor payments were approved.

  6. The
    household hazardous waste letter of commitment, held over from the
    last meeting, was signed.

  7. Loren
    Martin from Avitar and Diane Frechette from the Department of
    Revenue Administration discussed the upcoming full revaluation and
    the credit/exemption/current use review. Ms. Martin explained a
    contract for services had already been executed between Avitar and
    the Town for the 2014 full revaluation. The law requires that
    values be brought to market at least every 5 years. She said she
    would begin by reviewing recent sales but it may be necessary to
    rely on sales from similar towns in order to extract the appropriate
    indicators. She asked if Gilsum and Marlow might be deemed by the
    Selectmen as similar to Sullivan. The Board agreed and Mr.
    Paquette suggested that Westmoreland might be another community
    similar in size and location. She indicated that field review,
    which consists of measuring and listing the sales, would be
    conducted at the end of July with preliminary notices in August and
    hearings in August and September. She warned that it would be
    necessary to seek an extension on the MS-1 (statement of values) in
    September. She also explained that the Department of Revenue’s
    role will be to monitor the work done by Avitar throughout the
    course of the project. She noted eventually, toward the end of the
    project, taxpayers will be able to access information about their
    property and others in town on the website as well as through review
    of paper and electronic versions of the data. New construction
    resulting from permits and changes reported on inventory forms will
    be incorporated into the revaluation work.

Ms.
Martin explained that she is also conducting the review of the
exemptions, credits and current use and

had
started that process earlier today. She found where three
individuals may be erroneously receiving an

exemption
or credit and will advise the Board as soon as that is confirmed.
She indicated that the Town has until March 31, 2014 to correct any
errors.

Diane
Frechette from the DRA asked a series of questions. The questions
and Ms. Martin responses are as follows:

Is
the goal of the revaluation to bring values to market? Yes

Will
new site values and land curves be established and documented? Yes

Will
depreciation and cost tables be updated? Yes

Will
outbuilding costs be reviewed? Yes

Are
there any special use properties requiring a separate valuation in
Town? No

Will
Avitar conduct the valuation on utilities? Yes

Will
Avitar conduct the valuation of poles and conduit? Yes

How
will taxpayers be notified of the hearing and abatement process? Via
mail

When
will the preliminary values and cost tables be handed over to the
DRA? Most likely late July

She
explained that the DRA will monitor the work of Avitar and will
conduct on site reviews to insure their work is accurate. The DRA
then issues a PA45 report which summaries their findings.

Ms.
Frechette asked how the Town planned to notify the public of the
upcoming project. The Board indicated it would post notices on the
community bulletin board, website, issue a press release for the
newspaper and local newsletter as well as the minutes of Board
meetings when the topic is discussed. Both Ms. Martin and Ms.
Frechette will send information for the press release in the next
week or so.

In
closing, Ms. Martin indicated the photo data base will be updated and
the required USPAP (Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal
Practices) manual will be distributed in paper and on disc. She said
this is a valuable tool for users to understand the development of
values, the supporting documentation used in the revaluation and the
codes/descriptions used on the property record card.

  1. Mrs.
    Merrifield mentioned she is awaiting appropriate language on budget
    transfers. This will likely be completed at the next meeting.

General
discussion ensued. Mrs. Merrifield reported she had asked Mrs.
Luebkeman to provide the BOS with monthly quick book reports and an
updated version of the budget report was distributed. The Board also
reviewed an email communication that was received relative to
conditions at a local business. This issue was taken under
advisement, will be researched by Mr. Patnode, noting the health
officer may be called upon for assistance.

  1. ADJOURNMENT:
    MOTION: Gary Patnode moved to adjourn the meeting at 9:22 PM

SECOND: Mark Paquette seconded the motion

APPROVED: Unanimously approved

Respectfully Submitted,

Laura
J. Merrifield

Member
Board of Selectmen