July 15, 2013

Town
of Sullivan, NH. Board of Selectmen

Approved
Meeting Minutes

July
15, 2013 – 6:30 PM

Sullivan
Town Hall

Board
members present: Gary Patnode, Mark Paquette, Laura Merrifield

Department
heads present: Karl Wheeler, Randy Smith

Also
present: Kevin Wheeler, Trevor Smith, Paul LeClerc, Karen Luebkeman,
AA

1. CALL
TO ORDER: Gary Patnode called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM

MOTION:
Gary Patnode made a motion to table approving the July 1, 2013
meeting
minutes until later in the meeting when other Selectmen’s
Business
would be addressed.

SECOND: Laura
Merrifield seconded the motion.

APPROVED: Unanimously
approved.

  1. PUBLIC
    SESSION:

Paul
LeClerc of 143 Apple Hill Road brought a copy of his septic approval
from the State
of
New Hampshire to the Selectmen’s Meeting for the purpose of
obtaining a building
permit.
A driveway permit is needed as part of the building permit process.
The original driveway permit acquired in 2005 may no longer be
valid depending on whether or not the driveway was actually built
(driveway permits expire after one year). Randy Smith will look
into this situation further. If a new driveway permit is needed he
will begin the curb cut process in anticipation of the next
Planning Board meeting on August 7
th.

Kevin
Wheeler attended the Selectmen’s Meeting to look into whether or
not his 1.1 acre
lot
on Cummings Road is buildable. It has a ROW on a class V road and is
“grandfathered”
as far as size due to its existence prior to the increase in lot size
to two acres. Gary Patnode advised Mr. Wheeler that this was a
matter for the Planning Board to determine.

DEPARTMENT
HEADS:

Police
Chief Wheeler reported a pretty routine week with the exception of a
generator
stolen
from a residence on Centre Street.

Road
Agent Randy Smith notified the Selectmen that the Ferry Brook Bridge
officially
opened
on July 2
nd.
Randy is currently working with Eckman Engineering to complete the
documentation needed for submission to the Department of
Transportation in order to get the bridge certified.. Randy also
advised the Selectmen that FEMA would be doing an onsite inspection
of the bridge on August 6
th.
Randy will also be notifying the Department of Environmental
Services that the Ferry Brook Bridge project is complete and
submitting paperwork to complete that process.

Randy
discussed the proposed special projects which involve paving parts of
Valley Road and Bowlder Road. Bids received from Whitcomb
Construction and Arlington
Paving
were very close to each other. The Selectmen agreed that Randy
should make the final decision on which contractor to work with.

Randy
would like to buy a used sander for the Chevy dump truck as the
current sander
might
not make it through another winter. Because of the Chevy’s age and
condition
Randy
does not recommend buying a new sander for it.

Phil
Gladu has volunteered to do welding work on the Chevy if this meets
with the Selectmen’s approval. The Selectmen gratefully accepted
Mr. Gladu’s offer.

Randy
would like to get an updated set of 911 Maps. The administrative
assistant will
handle
this request.

The
Brolins of 452 South Road asked for assistance repairing their yard
which was disturbed during last year’s road work. The Selectmen
approved Randy’s regrading and repairing the disrupted area with
loam and grass seed.

  1. SELECTMEN’S
    BUSINESS:

General
business included approval of payroll and vendor payments and the
review of invoices.

The
following issues were reviewed/discussed:

Correspondence
from Avitar regarding the Rokes, Henzel and Varney property

abatements
were reviewed and approved along with a Supplemental Warrant for the
new
manufactured home at Stephen Hamilton’s Gilsum Road property.

The
Current Use Application from Monadnock Conservancy was approved and
signed.

An
Elderly Exemption application received from Harold and Rosalie Myers
was reviewed
and
tabled pending additional information.

A
Septic Approval for the former Katz property was received from the
State of New
Hampshire.
Selectmen reviewed an email from Dick DeSeve from the Department of
Environmental
Services in regard to this approval which is only authorized for 90
days.
The
administrative assistant will contact the current property owner and
alert them to the
90
day time limit on this septic design.

The
Selectmen received a copy of the NH DOT Conference Report Meeting
Minutes for the Route 9 upgrade held on June 6
th,
2013.

The
Selectmen reviewed correspondence from PSNH denying the Town’s
request for
information
regarding their pole tenants.

A
payment request from K.A. Stevens&Son for the Ferry Brook
Bridge was approved.

The
Selectmen reviewed a draft document from the Town’s attorney
detailing the
agreement
between the Town of Sullivan and John McNichols as it relates to his
current
building
permit and subsequent time extension to complete work.
 
The
Selectmen were advised that the JLMC will hold a meeting on July 30
th
at 11:00 at
the
Town Hall.

The
Selectmen were made aware that a cabin has been constructed at
Jeffrey Barden’s
property
off Corey Mine Road. The property currently is in current use so the
assessing
agent
will need to determine how much acreage needs to be removed from
current use
as
well as the appropriate land use change tax as well as assess the
value of the cabin for tax purposes. The administrative assistant
will contact Mr. Barden via mail regarding this visit as well as
request that Mr. Barden attend the August 5
th
Selectmen’s Meeting to discuss this matter.

In
light of the recent sale of the Rodolitz Centre Street property the
administrative assistant was directed to contact the selling agent
to determine if there was a septic system inspection at the time
of sale. The Selectmen were made aware of a potential problem
with the septic system in early June 2012 by State of New Hampshire
employees repairing the road after the May flood.

 The
discussion regarding compensating Department Heads for attending the
Selectmen’s
Meeting
resumed. Gary Patnode shared that his research resulted in learning
that some communities reimburse while others do not. After
speaking with the legal department at the Local Government Center
it was his opinion that compensation was appropriate.

Laura
Merrifield who initiated the original conversation regarding
compensation also
supports
compensating department heads who attend the Selectmen’s Meeting as
part of
their
responsibilities.

MOTION:
Gary Padnode made a motion to approve compensating Department

Heads
for that portion of the Selectmen’s Meeting attended as part of
their
duties.

SECOND: Laura
Merrifield seconded the motion.

APPROVED: Unanimously
approved.

Review
of the July 1
st
Meeting Minutes resumed.

MOTION:
Gary Patnode made a motion to approve the minutes as amended.

SECOND: Mark
Paquette seconded the motion.

APPROVED: Unanimously
approved.

   

MOTION: Gary
Patnode moved to adjourn the meeting at 10:15PM.

SECOND: Laura
Merrifield seconded the motion.

APPROVED: Unanimously
approved.