July 21, 2014

Town of Sullivan, NH Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes July 21, 2014 – 6:30 PM
Sullivan Town Hall

Board members present: Gary Patnode, Laura Merrifield, Mark Paquette

Department heads present: Randy Smith, Road Agent

Other staff: Jessica Nichols, Administrative Assistant

Public: Steve Filipi, Filipi Construction; Ron Robbins, Keene Snow Riders; Eli Rivera, Cheshire County Sheriff’s Department; Allan Treadwell, Twin Bridge Services

    CALL TO ORDER: Chairman Gary Patnode called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM. Meeting minutes from July 7, 2014 were held to the end.

    DEPARTMENT HEADS: see below

    SELECTMEN’S BUSINESS:

    Steve Filipi from Filipi Construction submitted the abutter information relating to the Brian and Lisa Brooks building permit. The Board reviewed and signed the permit and the fee of $25.00 was collected.

    Ron Robbins from Keene Snow Riders Snowmobile Association was present at the Board’s request. Chairman Patnode reported he and Mrs. Merrifield visited Price Road. They expressed concern with the proposed plan of using the embankment and roadway as a snowmobile trail due to the road narrowness and impediments. Mr. Robbins indicated he would look for other routes.

    Randy Smith, Road Agent presented three quotes on grinding the existing pavement on South Road. Quotes from Lane Construction, Allstate Asphalt, and BDM/Arlington Paving were reviewed. BDM/Arlington Paving was selected to perform the work.

Mr. Smith then presented three quotes for excavator and dump truck work on South Road. Quotes from Bolles Construction, Ed Csenge, and Rawson Construction were reviewed. Bolles Construction was selected to perform the work.

Mr. Smith presented an estimate from Nortrax for equipment repairs to the John Deere backhoe. He will be seeking funding in 2015 since there are insufficient funds to cover the $5,485 estimate.

Mrs. Nichols will be providing Mr. Smith information to proceed with driveway apron paving on five properties. The Board suggested using BDM/ Arlington Paving since they will be in town doing other work.

Mr. Smith reported minor damage to the Town roads from recent storms, and has work left on Bowlder Road.

    Sheriff Eli Rivera presented a verbal, semi-annual statistics report covering the time frame between January-June 2013 and January-June 2014. He said patrols run on varying shifts and the deputies are in Town between 15 and 20 hours a week. In response to a question, Chairman Patnode reported no significant complaints had been reported to the Selectmen. Mr. Paquette inquired as to how posted weight signs can be enforced in Town, to which Sheriff Rivera asked the Selectmen to see if those signs are under a Town ordinance. Mr. Paquette will do additional research on this issue. General discussion ensued. Mrs. Nichols was provided additional contact information. Chairman Patnode inquired if the Sheriff’s Department remained interested in the newer of the two cruisers. He said it would be considered in the next budget preparation.

    Allan Treadwell from Twin Bridge Services addressed his proposal of IT services at Town Hall. Discussion proceeded with a detailed review of his computer and network assessment, and service contract. After his recommendations, in order of priority, were made, it was requested he submit a scaled-back quote.

    Mrs. Nichols presented the Board some updates on a phone system proposal previously submitted by First Choice Communications. As agreed formerly, the Board will be seeking requests for proposals at a later date.

    Mrs. Nichols reported Mr. Creassy from Otterbrook Construction has been working on the generator shed concrete pad and had hoped to shim the Town Hall’s main entrance. He plans to work on both entrances on non-public days at Town Hall.

    Chairman Patnode reported he spoke with a representative from PSNH with regard to the temporary electric service at Matthew Paquette’s Bowlder Road property. PSNH has allowed a couple of months for installation of permanent service.

    By way of the Town Health Officer, Laura Lewandowski, Mrs. Nichols reported a letter has been sent out to the South Road property owner with trash build up. The property owner has two weeks from July 17, 2014 to contact the Health Officer with a plan to remedy the problem. It was also reported that Mrs. Lewandowski will be making a visit with a Selectman to a property on Bowlder Road to follow up on a report of animal carcasses being buried close to a private water source.

    A communication from Ed Csenge to the Planning Board with regard to a paved driveway apron on his third driveway cut was received by the Board. Mrs. Merrifield will ask at the next Planning Board meeting whether or not a waiver for a paved apron was granted.

    The Board signed a purchase order for inspection and repair work to the newly acquired 2000 Ford Expedition for the Fire Department. Mrs. Merrifield will prepare a letter to Springfield Buick GMC to see if they will share in the cost of repairs. Mrs. Nichols will be providing the Fire and Highway Departments year to date expense reports.

    Mrs. Nichols reported on the auditors visit the past week. She presented the Board some questionnaires to be completed by them, and requested a written policy on the payment of unused accrued vacation at year end.

    Payroll, vendor payments, and purchase orders were reviewed and approved. Mrs. Nichols was asked to discuss large purchase orders with the Road Agent in reference to quotes.

General discussion ensued. Mrs. Nichols noted the receipt of state approved septic plans for Gilman and Newell. She also noted she will be posting public notices once received from the State with regards to the DOT meeting on August 5 at 7pm.

Chairman Patnode addressed the minutes of the July 7th meeting. Some suggested changes were presented. Mrs. Nichols will incorporate those changes and the minutes will be approved at the next meeting.

Mrs. Merrifield distributed a draft of the Town volunteerism policy to the Board members for review and approval at next meeting. She reported she is awaiting a proposal from Southwestern Regional Planning relating to the map updates. She also said Judy Sadoski, the newly appointed Overseer of the Poor, will attend the next meeting with the purpose of introductions, adoption of the welfare guidelines, discussion on levels of assistance, and an agreement for service.

D. OLD BUSINESS: None

E. ADJOURNMENT: MOTION: Laura Merrifield moved to adjourn the meeting at 10:18pm

SECOND: Gary Patnode seconded the motion

APPROVED: Unanimously approved

F. NON-PUBLIC: None

Respectfully Submitted,

Jessica Nichols

Administrative Assistant to the Board of the Selectmen