June 1, 2015

Town
of Sullivan, NH Board of Selectmen

Meeting
Minutes June 1, 2015

Sullivan
Town Hall

Board
members present: Gary Patnode, Joseph Lewandowski and Laura
Merrifield

Other
staff: Kate Thorndike, Administrative Assistant

Public:
Paul LeClerc, Rod Parsons

  1. CALL
    TO ORDER: Chairman Gary Patnode called the meeting to order at 6:30
    PM. Gary Patnode made a motion to approve the minutes of the May
    18
    th
    regular meeting with two changes. Laura Merrifield seconded the
    motion and the minutes were unanimously approved. Chairman Gary
    Patnode made a motion to approve the Non-Public minutes of the May
    18
    th
    meeting. Laura Merrifield seconded the motion and the minutes were
    unanimously approved.

  1. DEPARTMENT
    HEADS: None

  1. SELECTMEN’S
    BUSINESS:

  1. Paul
    LeClerc: Request for Building Permit Extension:

Mr. LeClerc
discussed the status of his building project, the reason for lack of
progress and his expected timeline. It was explained to Mr. LeClerc
that over the last two years since his permit was initiated, there
have been changes to the permitting process in Sullivan. Mr. LeClerc
stated that he was doing exactly what he was told to do by coming in
and asking for an extension. The Board of Selectmen agreed and
decided to approve the extension request for another six months.
They emphasized that they do not expect him to start over or meet new
permitting requirements.

  1. Rod
    Parsons: (On behalf of Bergeron Construction) Building Permit
    Application:

Mr. Parsons who is
the Project Coordinator for Bergeron Construction and Agent for Mr.
and Mrs. DeAngelis presented a building permit application with
accompanying paperwork for a 3-bedroom home to be built on Apple Hill
Road. The Board of Selectmen and Mr. Parsons went through the
checklist, reviewed all accompanying information and approved the
application. The Residential Energy Code Certification will come
later, further along in the building process. Mr. Parsons commented
prior to leaving that the Board of Selectmen really should consider
raising the fees for building permits which at this point barely
cover the hours required for administrative and Board time.

  1. Year
    to Date Budget Review:

The Selectmen were
given year to date budget reports through the end of April and agreed
to carefully review them in preparation for their next meeting.

  1. Fire
    Department PO/s/Invoices for repairs to Tanker 1 and Air Compressor:


The Selectmen
discussed expenses submitted for repairs to Tanker 1 which were
originally submitted by PO at $1,200 with a resulting final invoice
of $5,816.59. They wanted to be sure that the Fire Chief Al Henry
understood that this repair has overspent the vehicle repair line of
the FD budget but not so much that it can’t be made up elsewhere in
his budget. Laura Merrifield commented on the fact that there is a
Purchase Order policy requiring Board of Selectmen approval for all
PO’s over $500 as a means of managing expenditures. It is
situations such as this that emphasizes the need for a formal
Purchasing Policy which the town does not have. The Board
reluctantly signed the Purchase Order. In regard to a second PO for
repairs to breathing apparatus there was discussion as to whether or
not the funds could come out of the Breathing Apparatus Capital
Reserve Fund or if the originating intent (and language) of that fund
was for capital purchases only. Laura Merrifield agreed to research
the origination and history of the “Breathing Apparatus” warrant
article. Kate Thorndike will contact Al Henry to ask him to hold on
those repairs until that research is complete.

  1. Sullivan
    School District Request for double payments:

Kate Thorndike
updated the Board on a request for double payments for June and July
that came through from the school. A discussion followed regarding
whether or not the town is legally obligated to supply those
additional funds, whether or not the town is in a financial position
to do so and whether or not the Budget Committee should be included
in a joint meeting. Kate Thorndike will contact Toni Ellsworth,
Treasurer of the SSD to get some clarification on the “big picture”
discussion they would like to have and to set a meeting time. She
will also contact Rita Donaldson at MRI to get her input on the
town’s financial position and ability to fulfill such a request.

  1. Payroll,
    vendor payments and purchase orders were approved.


General
discussion: Kate Thorndike mentioned to the Board that there had
been an increase in patrol hours for the Sheriff’s Department in
the Month of May. This was not of concern due to the yearly contract
in place. The Assessment Review came through from the Department of
Revenue and the town passed in all areas except one which had to do
with the handling of some property exemptions. Laura Merrifield
remembers there were two that were problematic during the review but
believe that they were fixed. That will be confirmed.

Laura
Merrifield told the Board that she had communicated with Don Jutton
at MRI to begin discussions on how to address the financial needs of
the town going forward due to the fact that the six month term of the
agreement with MRI will be over at the end of June. Mr. Jutton will
be sending a financial services template to the town to assist with
the development of a RFP to be sent out to other firms who could
potentially provide those services. There was a brief discussion on
the options for handling these needs such as staying with MRI, hiring
a new company or returning the responsibilities to the town office.
It was decided that for the time being the town would continue with
MRI, research other firms, develop the RFP and once finalized,
advertise it.

There
was a discussion on how Non-Public meetings would be handled
eliminating the need for the Non Public session that had been
scheduled on tonight’s agenda. Laura Merrifield informed the board
of a complaint that she had received regarding unregistered vehicles
at 307 Valley Road. The Board decided to send a letter asking the
property owners to remove the vehicles immediately or contact the
town to explain why they can’t.

Gary
Patnode noted that he still needed to supply
specifications/description for the town hall projects and would do
so. Joe Lewandowski mentioned that he had spoken with Al Henry about
some extra 50 foot heating cables that might solve the ice buildup at
the library. It was unclear whether the present electric set up could
handle it and if an electrician and roofing person should weigh in on
the idea.

  1. ADJOURNMENT:
    MOTION: Gary Patnode moved to adjourn the meeting at 9:47 PM

SECOND: Laura
Merrifield seconded the motion

APPROVED:
Unanimously approved

Respectfully
Submitted,

Kate
Thorndike

Administrative
Assistant