June 16, 2014

Town of Sullivan, NH Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes June 16, 2014 – 6:30 PM
Sullivan Town Hall

Board members present: Gary Patnode, Mark Paquette and Laura Merrifield

Department heads present: none

Other staff: Jessica Nichols, Administrative Assistant; Mary Hull, Town Clerk/Tax Collector

Public: none

    CALL TO ORDER: Chairman Gary Patnode called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM. Laura Merrifield made a motion to approve the minutes of the June 2, 2014 meeting with some amendments provided in writing. Mark Paquette seconded the motion and the minutes were unanimously approved as amended.

    DEPARTMENT HEADS: none

    SELECTMEN’S BUSINESS:

    Mary Hull, Town Clerk/Tax Collector came before the Board presenting the unlicensed dog warrant requiring Board signatures. Mrs. Hull stated she had pared the list down by calling and mailing owners who had yet to register their dogs. She explained that there are two options in carrying out the forfeiture process for unlicensed dogs. One is to send a letter by certified mail and the other is to request the Sheriff’s office to hand deliver the notices. If the fee is not paid within fifteen calendar days of the notice, the case may be disposed of in district court or the animal may be seized. Mrs. Hull suggested the second option and the Board agreed. The warrant was signed and Mrs. Hull will communicate with the Sheriff’s office.

    Arnie Fillipi telephoned during the meeting to say he would not be appearing at the meeting because he had a few items to complete pertaining to the building permit for Brian and Lisa Brooks on Centre Street, Map 3 Lot 43-3.

    Mrs. Merrifield stated that following the last meeting she had intended to write the resident interested in the Overseer of the Poor position to tell her the Board would be pursuing other options but the individual had emailed the Town to say she was still interested. Following another email to that individual with no response, Mrs. Merrifield said she would send the letter the Board had previously approved.

Mrs. Merrifield also said she had contacted a retired welfare administrator who is interested in serving, short term, the position. The goal would be to have this person handle the welfare applications and provide training to the Administrative Assistant who would likely assume the duties at a later time. Details still need to be worked out. She also noted the person offered to review the proposed welfare guidelines.

The Board authorized Mrs. Merrifield to pursue the review of the guidelines and to communicate back to the individual that the Selectmen are, indeed, interested in contracting with her to serve as the Overseer of the Poor.

    Draft welfare guidelines were distributed and will be approved at a later time.

    Mrs. Merrifield reported that at the June 4th Planning Board meeting the Board approved the suggestions relating to communicating with the 5 property owners who have outstanding driveway permits, as previously approved by the Board of Selectmen. One recipient has already replied to the letter, and will be contacting the Planning Board to file for an extension on the permit. All owners have until July 12, 2014, to respond to the letters.

Mrs. Merrifield also explained that following a conversation with the Department of Transportation, the Town can seek escrow funds for driveways connecting to State Roads (like Centre Street) and that it appears an oversight may have been made pertaining to two driveways recently approved by the Planning Board. She has encouraged the Planning Board to communicate the oversight to the owner and explain that a paved apron is required and associated escrow funds should be paid to the town.

    A land use change tax warrant relating to Mark Smith’s property on Boynton Road, Map 3, lot 16.5, was signed. The land is removed from current use due to development.

    Ms. Nichols presented the Board four forest fire bills relating to the May 12, 2014 fire on Bowlder Road which were submitted by Fire Chief Henry and approved by the Board for reimbursement from the forest fire equipment liability trust fund.

    The Board signed an Intent To Cut for Jonathan Ginsberg 34 Connor Drive, Map 6-40.2.

    The Board reviewed a communication from Town Attorney Maria Gavin regarding the Fernandes case. She is recommending proceeding with hearing on the preliminary injunction. She will ask Superior Court for a hearing which should happen within the next 30 days. One Board member must attend the hearing and it will be necessary for that Board member to verify the system installation shortly before the hearing.

    Ms. Nichols reported she has spoken with Mr. Creassy from Otterbrook Construction who wants to work on the generator shed first. He requests the gas line and shed placement be marked out. Further, the front entrance will be boarded over during construction and the main entrance would be done when Town Hall is closed. Mr. Patnode said he would arrange to have the gas line located. Discussion ensued about the location knowing the power cord is 15 feet long and the shed needs to be 5 feet away from the hall. Ms. Nichols will be coordinating the work with Mr. Creassy.

    The Board signed a letter from the DRA requesting PA-28 inventory forms for 2015.

    The Board revisited the subject of temporary electric service at Matthew Paquette’s Bowlder Road property. Permanent service was to have been completed by June 1. Mark Paquette will confirm whether or not the permanent service has been installed and report back to the Board for further action, if necessary.

    Ms. Nichols reported she and Mary Hull had recently spent considerable time with Allan Treadwell who is a reputable municipal IT provider. Mr. Treadwell will be preparing a proposal for the Board’s consideration to address the Town’s many technological issues and needs.

    The Board reviewed correspondence from Fire Chief Al Henry with regard to a purchase order for inspection and work needed for the new EMS squad SUV. Chief Henry was unable to attend the meeting. The Board requested he attend the July 7th meeting.

    Payroll, vendor payments, and purchase orders were reviewed and approved. Discussion took place with regards to a purchase order for septic work at the Highway garage. Ms. Nichols to follow up with the Road Agent relative to when the last work was done.

General discussion ensued. Chairman Patnode reported he contacted a sales representative at First Choice Technology regarding the current telephone system. A technician will be contacting Ms. Nichols or Mrs. Merrifield to schedule a time for the visit. He also said he had spoken with Karen Luebkeman who said she will send the two signed timesheets but had asked if she could keep the two journals because they contained personal information. In closing, the Chairman also reported he did not contact the Sheriff’s office following the last Board meeting because the Board should be receiving a report in July.

D. OLD BUSINESS: None

E. ADJOURNMENT: MOTION: Gary Patnode moved to adjourn the meeting at 9:40PM SECOND: Laura Merrifield seconded the motion

APPROVED: Unanimously approved

F. NON-PUBLIC: Immediately following the regular meeting, Mrs. Merrifield moved to enter into a non-public meeting for the purposes of discussing litigation and personnel. The non-public meeting adjourned at 10:10 PM, and it was unanimously voted to seal the minutes.

Respectfully Submitted,

Jessica Nichols

Administrative Assistant to the Board of the Selectmen