June 19,2017

Town
of Sullivan, NH Board of Selectmen


Meeting Minutes, June 19, 2017

Sullivan
Town Hall

Board
members present: Chairman Laura J. Merrifield, Joe Lewandowski and
Jeff Burbank

Department
Heads/Officers:

Staff:
Kate Fuller, Administrative Assistant

Public:
Peter Bissell, Allen Vandiver, Roger and Ann Sweet and Bob Switzer

  1. CALL
    TO ORDER: Chairman Laura Merrifield called the meeting to order at

    6:30 pm. Jeff Burbank made a
    motion to approve the minutes of the June 5, 2017 meeting, seconded
    by Joe Lewandowski. The minutes were unanimously approved.

  1. PUBLIC
    COMMENT-None

  1. SELECTMEN’S
    BUSINESS:

  1. Septic
    design-44 Hubbard Road-Map 3 Lot 99
    -Peter
    Bissell, Septic Designer, reviewed the preliminary septic plans and
    septic plan application with the Board. Because of the difficulty of
    the lot, the setbacks from a wetland are short 8 feet for State
    requirements and 33 feet for Town requirements from the abutting
    stream. Road Agent, Randy Smith will be consulted about the plan. If
    Randy recommends going forward then Mr. Bissell will apply for a
    waiver with the State for the plan. Per a request from Mr. Bissell,
    Kate will send a letter to the DES that reviews the building and
    septic history for that property.

  1. Energy
    Committee Update-Ann Sweet and Bob Switzer
    -
    An update was given for energy usage for the four Town buildings;
    the committee asked that the Selectman’s office continue keeping
    these records. The Board informed the Energy Committee that they
    were following up on several energy saving recommendations from the
    energy audit.

  1. Garbage
    nuisance update-193 Gilsum Road
    -A
    letter was sent to the co-owner of this property with a two week
    period of time for a response. Kate will coordinate with the Health
    Officer to have the owners of this property come to the next meeting
    to formulate a resolution to this problem.

  1. Appointment
    for Steven Parker
    - Mr.
    Parker is changing from a Zoning Board alternate to a full
    member-Signed by the Board.

  1. Warrant
    for Unlicensed Dogs
    -Signed
    by the Board.

  1. Welfare
    Guidelines
    -Every three years
    it is recommended that assistance levels be reviewed. The allowable
    levels of assistance were updated using the latest Cheshire County
    rental rates through HUD and food allowances through SNAP. Rents
    were compared to actual local rents. There was discussion about the
    burial benefit and reimbursement to the Town in the case of a legal
    settlement. Laura Merrifield made a motion to accept the new
    allowable levels of assistance, seconded by Jeff Burbank. Vote in
    the affirmative.

  1. RFP
    Handyman
    -Laura Merrifield
    attempted to contact several local handyman services. Jason Frost of
    Cheshire Handyman Service is willing to do the Energy Audit
    recommendation work as well as other small odd jobs. The Board will
    follow up with him to get the jobs done. The estimated cost of the
    work is less than budgeted so an RFP will not be necessary.

  1. Audit
    Update
    - The areas of concern
    have been addressed and corrective action has been taken. Kate will
    contact Ashley Miller on the best way to communicate the
    corrections.

  1. Acknowledgement
    of Financial Reports-May
    -Acknowledged
    by Board.

Minutes
from 6/19/17 page 2

  1. Payroll,
    Vendor Payments and Purchase Orders
    -Approved
    as submitted.

  1. Miscellaneous/General
    Discussion
    -An elderly
    exemption was received and forwarded to Avitar. Two NHMA Legislative
    Bulletins received. SWRPC Highlights received. Wetlands Permit from
    Cheshire County Fish and Game Club Received. Reminder for newsletter
    deadline received. Invitation to Nelson’s 250
    th
    birthday party, July 8
    th
    at 7 Nelson Common Road starts at 9:30am. DOT map and town update
    received and completed. Randy made a recommendation about
    compensation for worker while he is out. The owners at 57 South Road
    are requesting a slow child sign, referred to Randy. Letter from DES
    received, the letter stated that the property at 101 Gilsum Road has
    achieved septic approval but has an unregistered well. Laura
    Merrifield reported a conversation with a property owner that came
    into Town Hall wanting to homestead on his land with a tent and
    outhouse. According to the CPO this is not a permitted use and the
    resident was advised of that.

  1. NON-PUBLIC:
    For the purpose of reviewing litigation.

  1. ADJOURNMENT:

MOTION:
Laura Merrifield moved to adjourn the meeting at 9:23 pm.

SECOND:
Jeff Burbank

APPROVED:
Unanimously approved.

Respectfully
Submitted,

Katherine
M. Fuller

Administrative
Assistant for the Board of Selectmen