June 2, 2014

of Sullivan, NH Board of Selectmen

Meeting Minutes June 2, 2014 – 6:30 PM

Town Hall

members present: Gary Patnode, Mark Paquette and Laura Merrifield

heads present: none

staff: Jessica Nichols, Administrative Assistant

Public: Arnie

  1. CALL
    TO ORDER: Chairman Gary Patnode called the meeting to order at
    6:30 PM. Laura Merrifield made a motion to approve the minutes of
    the May 19, 2014 meeting. Mark Paquette seconded the motion and the
    minutes were unanimously approved.

    HEADS: none


  1. Arnie
    Fillipi came before the Board with a completed septic system
    application and pre-approval form for the undeveloped lot on Centre
    Street Map 3 Lot 43-3 owned by Brian and Lisa Brooks. The Board
    reviewed and approved, stamping and signing off on all map copies.
    He stated that he hopes to start building this year, and hopes to
    bring in a completed building permit for the next Selectmen’s
    meeting. The septic system application will be filed in the
    property record file.

  1. The
    Board reviewed the forest fire bill submitted by Fire Chief Al Henry
    for the Bowlder Road fire on May 12, 2014. The Board filled out the
    appropriate information in order to receive payment from the Forest
    Fire Equipment Liability Fund, which will then be signed by the
    Trustees of Trust funds June 3, 2014. Once payment is received at
    the Town, the individual people listed on the bill will be paid.
    Chief Henry previously stated that other towns might be sending in
    forest fire bills to him, which would be handled in this same

  1. The
    Board reviewed the Library insulation bill from Otterbrook
    Construction which was signed off by Chris Pratt. The Board filled
    out the appropriate information in order to receive payment from the
    Library Energy Efficiency Fund, which will then be signed by the
    Trustees of Trust Funds June 3, 2014. Once payment is received at
    the Town, the bill will be paid to Otterbrook Construction.

  1. The
    Board reviewed the job estimate from Otterbrook Construction in
    reference to raising and shimming the concrete step at the main
    entrance at Town Hall, repairs to the front entrance at Town Hall
    due to water damage, and building a generator shed on sonotubes next
    to Town Hall. Ms. Nichols will be contacting Mr. Creasy to see when
    he can start work on the two entrances, and how long he expects all
    three jobs to take. There needs to be coordination for good access
    on the entrances.

  1. The
    Board reviewed and signed the timber tax warrant for the Bruce
    Merrill and Cheshire County Fish and Game cuts. Ms. Nichols to send
    report of cut to the DRA and pass the tax bill to Mary Hull.

  1. Town
    Attorney Maria Gavin forwarded a Notice of Hearing regarding the
    Roland Fernandes property and was reviewed by the Board.

  1. The
    Board reviewed communication from Attorney Gary Kinyon regarding the
    Antis zoning appeal with the Zoning Board.

  1. Ms.
    Nichols informed the Board that she is still trying to gain contact
    with the interested resident for the Overseer of the Poor position.
    Since the person has not returned any calls or email, it was assumed
    by the Board that the individual is not interested in serving. Ms.
    Merrifield will draft a letter for Chairman Patnode’s signature
    advising the individual the Town will be seeking other alternatives.
    Also, Ms. Merrifield will call the NH Welfare Association president
    to determine if there is anyone in our area that fills the Overseer
    position for multiple towns. She will also be contacting an
    individual she knows who has welfare administration experience and
    who may be interested in filling the position.

  1. Payroll,
    vendor payments, and purchase orders were reviewed and approved.
    Discussion took place about blanket purchase orders. It was
    determined that blanket purchase orders are not necessary for the
    payment of regular monthly bills. As a result, the Board did not
    sign the blanket purchase orders for oil and electricity at the Fire
    department. Also, the Board had several questions regarding a
    purchase order for repair to the newly acquired Fire Rescue vehicle.
    The Fire Chief will be invited to the next BOS meeting.

General discussion ensued. Ms.
Nichols updated the Board on NHPDIP money that is in a general fund,
explaining that she has presented the information to the auditors
asking that this residual money be rolled back to general funds.
Chairman Patnode will be contacting the former Administrative
Assistant with regards to follow up on the termination letter sent to
her. Ms. Merrifield shared communication with the Board from an
Attorney Livernois for review. Ms. Nichols reported to the Board
that she had made attempts to contact the Health Officer for an
update on the South Road property with a rodent problem and a
business complaint on a property. Chairman Patnode discussed the
need for an update on the Town Hall’s phone system. He will be
researching if a new phone system is needed or the existing be
improved. Ms. Merrifield said a message had been left at her home
from Stephanie Jacques who reported a slow response by the Sheriff’s
department during an incident she was recently involved in. No
action was necessary. Ms. Merrifield also noted Ms. Jacques stated
in the same message that the offer on the school has fallen through.
The Board also discussed that they need to speak with the Sheriff’s
department in regards to receiving a quarterly report for patrol, and
their frequency of checking in at Town Hall. Chairman Patnode will
contact them.

  1. OLD
    BUSINESS: None

    MOTION: Gary Patnode moved to adjourn the meeting at 9:07 PM

SECOND: Laura Merrifield seconded the motion

APPROVED: Unanimously approved




Assistant to the Board of the Selectmen