March 17, 2014

Town
of Sullivan, NH Board of Selectmen

Meeting Minutes March 17, 2014 – 6:30 PM

Sullivan
Town Hall

Board
members present: Gary Patnode, Mark Paquette and Laura Merrifield

Department
heads present: none

Other
staff: none

  1. CALL
    TO ORDER: Chairman Gary Patnode called the meeting to order at
    6:30 PM. Gary Patnode made a motion to approve the minutes of the
    March 10, 2014, meeting. Mark Paquette seconded the motion and the
    minutes were unanimously approved.

Immediately following the approval of the minutes, Laura
Merrifield made a motion to nominate Gary Patnode as Chairman of the
Board of Selectmen. The motion was seconded by Mark Paquette and
unanimously approved.

  1. OPEN
    SESSION: None

  1. Department
    Heads: None

  1. SELECTMEN’S
    BUSINESS:

  1. A
    communication from Maria Gavin relating to a structuring conference
    on March 5
    th,
    (pending action against Patricia Alexander and Scott Alexander) was
    discussed. It was unanimously decided by the Board that the Town is
    very interested in meeting with the Attorney and each of the
    Alexanders in order to draft an agreement, take pictures and record
    an inventory of the items that must be removed from each property.
    The BOS is also interested in having all clean up complete by
    December 31, 2014 (Scott) and October 1, 2014 (Patricia). The
    Board’s agreement will be communicated to Attorney Gavin so that a
    mutually agreeable meeting can be scheduled. The Board will also
    ask for an update relating to the Jones pending action as well.

  2. The
    Board reviewed an administrative order from DES relating to the
    Roland Fernandes septic issue. Mrs. Merrifield had forwarded the
    documents to the Town Attorney to see how the order worked with the
    pending civil action. No response had been received as of the
    meeting date but Laura will follow up on this.

  3. The
    Board approved a letter of denial to Mr. Swett relating to an
    abatement application. The Board also approved a letter of denial
    to Mr. Hamilton relating to an abatement application for 14 Woodland
    Drive. The Board also approved a refund to Mr. Hamilton relating to
    inventory removed as of 4/1/12 but not properly reflected in his
    assessment for 2012 and 2013.

  4. A
    communication from Denise McFarland relating to the state inspection
    revealed two minor issues at the highway department that need
    attention (an exit sign and a hose).

  5. Payroll,
    Vendor payments and purchase orders were approved. It was noted
    that the time sheet used at the Library was inconsistent with the
    format used by other staff. Ms. McFarland will be asked to amend
    the time sheet for ease in comparing to the weekly manifest.

  6. The
    Board reviewed the summer meeting schedule which will become
    effective May 5 and will extend through October. The Board of
    Selectmen will meet every other Monday at 6:30 PM with the exception
    of Monday September 1. The Board will likely shift the meeting to
    September 2
    nd.
    Notice will be sent to department heads (so they can plan
    accordingly) and the newsletter chair, as well as posting to the
    website and on the town hall door. Also included will be a brief
    reminder of how to get on the Board’s agenda.

  7. A
    communication from Chris Pratt was received just prior to the
    meeting. The communication requested funds to be expended to the
    Trustees. This request was approved and will be processed for
    payment next week.

  8. A
    communication from Mr. D’s Floorcare Plus was received just prior
    to the meeting. The communication is a proposal to clean town hall
    weekly instead of every two weeks. There are several questions that
    require input from Mr. Dunton so the Board will more thoroughly
    review the proposal next week.

  9. A
    note from Al Henry was also received just prior to the meeting.
    Chief Henry provided a written response to the Department of Safety
    relative to fireworks which will be mailed out tomorrow.

  10. The
    Board began discussing the results of the write in votes for
    Overseer of the Poor. The Board will further discuss the issue at
    the next meeting. Mr. Patnode also asked for the results of the
    community planning ordinance changes.

In
general discussion, the Board reviewed the responses from the
Administrative Assistant regarding the negative balance that appears
on each manifest and the possibility of loading in the department
appropriation into the expense reports.

  1. Non-public
    – None

  1. Old
    Business – None

  1. ADJOURNMENT:
    MOTION: Laura Merrifield moved to adjourn the meeting at 8:21 PM

SECOND: Mark Paquette seconded the motion

APPROVED: Unanimously approved

Respectfully
Submitted,

Laura
J. Merrifield

Member
Board of Selectmen