May 15,2017

Town
of Sullivan, NH Board of Selectmen


Meeting Minutes, May 15, 2017

Sullivan
Town Hall

Board
members present: Chairman Laura J. Merrifield, Joe Lewandowski and
Jeff Burbank

Department
Heads/Officers: Randy Smith-Road Agent and Eric White-Conservation
Commission Chair

Staff:
Kate Fuller, Administrative Assistant

Public:

  1. CALL
    TO ORDER: Chairman Laura Merrifield called the meeting to order at

    6:30 pm. Jeff Burbank made a
    motion to approve the minutes of the May 8, 2017 meeting, seconded
    by Laura Merrifield. The minutes were unanimously approved.

  1. PUBLIC
    COMMENT-None

  1. SELECTMEN’S
    BUSINESS:

  1. Eric
    White-Chairman of the Conservation Committee-Sullivan Trails
    Committee
    -Eric White came to
    inform the Board that there would be a work day on May 20
    th.
    He also submitted a draft of an agreement that the Trail Committee
    would like to enter into with landowners so that the trail loop
    could cross private property. Currently the Trail committee is a sub
    group of the Conservation Committee. Kate will contact Primex to ask
    advice on how the Town can be best protected in terms of insurance
    liability. Eric White will ask other towns about the relationship
    between their governing body and trails committees. Discussion
    ensued regarding the Sullivan Trail Committee being under the
    Conservation Commission or being a private group responsible for
    trail maintenance.

  1. South
    Road Paving Project-Bid opening
    -Three
    bids were opened and after examination; Road Agent Randy Smith asked
    for more time to look them over. The bid award will be at the next
    meeting. The DOT is doing some pre-paving work on the Centre Street.
    Laura Merrifield and Randy Smith met with Dennis Clark of the DOT to
    discuss the need to replace two culverts on Centre Street. Work
    begins on May 21, 2017. The first problem area is the culvert at
    Town Hall that has to be re-done and may leave the catch basin
    exposed temporarily. The second is a culvert that runs under the
    Fire Department Building that will also be replaced. It will become
    necessary to re-route the drain already on Town land. It was agreed
    that the State will do what is necessary to replace the culvert,
    recognizing the Town will have to fund the re-routing in the next
    budget. Randy Smith will contact the State Engineer for assistance.
    Randy also informed the Board that he would be out of work for a
    medical procedure staring in early June. Staffing options were
    discussed if extra help is needed. After the Road Agent left the
    meeting and before proceeding with the regular agenda, a general
    discussion regarding compensation and job classification ensued.
    Further discussion will take place regarding employee status versus
    elected official and hourly versus salary compensation at a future
    meeting.

  1. Current
    Use application for Antis Property M3Lot 29 Sub 1
    -Signed
    by Board on recommendation from Avitar.

  1. Acknowledgement
    of Financial Reports and Adjusting Journal
    Entries-April
    -Acknowledged
    by the Board.

  1. Preliminary
    Audit Findings 2016 discussion
    -The
    Auditors found an underpayment to the School. Laura Merrifield will
    contact the School Board to resolve this issue. Mrs. Merrifield also
    mentioned other minor issues found in the audit. She and Kate will
    work on a response and come back to the board at a later date.

  1. Payroll,
    Vendor Payments and Purchase Orders
    -Approved
    as submitted.

BOS
5/22/17 page 2

  1. Miscellaneous/General
    Discussion
    -Two NHMA
    Legislative Bulletins received. Mark Smith was reminded about the
    2016 Timber report of cut that is due. SWRPC has offered the Town
    help with Brownfield site testing. April Sheriff Log received.
    Communication from Bradley and Faulkner about a pending junkyard
    site inspection. SWRPC Highlights received. DES invitation to
    comment on impaired surface waters. Mary Hull has the warrant for
    review. DOT granted a driveway permit to Travis Blanchard.
    Invitation to Drought Impact panel Tuesday, May 23
    rd
    from 6-8pm at Antioch University, Keene. April Planning Board
    Minutes received. Slip, Trip and Fall Training reminder. Kate will
    get the Disaster Recovery Plan for IT. A letter will be written to
    the estate of resident who passed before being approved for a Tax
    Exemption.

  1. NON-PUBLIC:
    None

  1. ADJOURNMENT:

MOTION:
Laura Merrifield moved to adjourn the meeting at 9:00 pm.

SECOND:
Jeff Burbank

APPROVED:
Unanimously approved.

Respectfully
Submitted,

Katherine
M. Fuller

Administrative
Assistant for the Board of Selectmen