May 5, 2014

Town
of Sullivan, NH Board of Selectmen


Meeting Minutes May 5, 2014 – 6:30 PM

Sullivan
Town Hall

Board
members present: Gary Patnode, Mark Paquette and Laura Merrifield

Department
heads present: Randy Smith, Road Agent

Other
staff: Jessica Nichols, Administrative Assistant

Public: (none)

  1. CALL
    TO ORDER: Chairman Gary Patnode called the meeting to order at
    6:30 PM. Laura Merrifield made a motion to approve the minutes of
    the April 28, 2014, meeting. Mark Paquette seconded the motion and
    the minutes were unanimously approved.

  1. DEPARTMENT
    HEADS: see below

  1. SELECTMEN’S
    BUSINESS:

  1. Town
    Road Agent Randy Smith presented the Board with a request to create
    a policy for volunteerism under a Town department head’s
    supervision. Historically, it has been under the discretion of Mr.
    Smith at the Highway Department. Mr. Smith stated that
    approximately every two years he might get a request from a resident
    to perform community service hours for the purpose of civic or
    academic needs. Mr. Smith believes that volunteers are covered
    under the Town’s insurance policy, but would like for the Board to
    verify.

Mr.
Smith presented to the Board a request to change the policy on
purchase order signatures. He suggested the limit requiring
selectmen’s signature be raised from $500 to $1000. His concern is
potential delays in purchases due to the change in the Board’s
meeting schedule. It was agreed that should a circumstance arise
where an emergency purchase was necessary, the Administrative
Assistant should be contacted so she can acquire the necessary
signatures.

Mr.
Smith presented to the Board an annual inquiry from New Hampshire DOT
Road Collection with an accompanied map regarding roads in Sullivan
eligible for block grant. Mr. Smith is in favor of Chapman Pond and
Bolster Pond roads being identified on the map, as they are class 5
roads. In reviewing the map, it was noted that both roads are
identified and Randy would confirm.

Mr.
Smith expressed concern to the Board of an overweight vehicle using a
weight limit posted road in Sullivan. The continuous use of an
overweight vehicle has caused wear on Bowlder Road. The Board will
be sending a letter to the autobody business who owns the vehicle
stating the provisions established in the State of New Hampshire RSA
231:191 in order to prevent further unnecessary damage to a town
road.

Mr.
Smith asked the Board to research who has been our vendor for septic
pumping. He stated that the Highway, Town Hall, and shared Library
and Fire buildings are most likely due for servicing. The
Administrative Assistant will follow up on this.

Mr.
Smith requested that the Board approve entering the 1989 Chevy Kodiak
dump truck into the State Auction. This request was approved and the
title will be handed over to him to expedite the process. The money
from the sale will be deposited into general funds.

Mr.
Smith expressed his intention to commence service work on the grader,
backhoe, and International dump truck. He stated that the grader has
never sounded right, the backhoe is overdue on service, and that the
dump truck’s sub-frame needs to be fixed along with the hydraulic
tank being lifted and the wing tower braced. Mr. Smith is to contact
Nortrax to schedule service.

Mr.
Smith inquired with the Board about the search for a new light dump
truck. He was authorized to commence a search and will obtain 3
quotes. He will also check to see what dealer has awarded the State
bid. The cost estimate for a completed truck is approximately
$98,000 of which there is approximately that amount in the Highway
capital reserves.

Mr.
Smith presented to a list of projects he would like to see completed
over the next few years. The projects include tree and brush cutting
at Town Hall and Library, reset stones and clean up at the Old Town
Pound as well as obtaining a sign to identify the site; old head
stones at the Four Corner Cemetery need to be reset, the Civil War
monument rails needs welding. It was agreed he would put something
in the next newsletter to generate interest from volunteers to assist
in completing these projects and also seek assistance from other
Town boards (conservation committee or cemetery trustees) or possible
a Boy Scout troop.

Lastly,
Mr. Smith discussed his plans on Special Projects for South Road from
Hubbard Road to Ferrybrook Road involving grinding of existing
pavement, adding gravel, and work on existing under-drains will be
done this year, with plans for paving next year.

  1. A
    communication from the DRA with the results of the equalization
    ratio was received, in addition to what was discussed at the
    previous Board meeting. A community action report was also viewed
    by the Board from Diane Frechette from the DRA in regards to her
    visit April 14, 2014.

  1. By
    way of the Trustee of Trust funds chair, Roger Sweet, an
    informational document on how to read MS forms 9&10 was
    reviewed by the Board.

  1. Ms.
    Merrifield updated the Board on the Jeremy Kinson timber cut,
    stating that Jesse Bushaw from the DRA and Forrest Ranger Matt
    Apgar, through review of his property, had stated no intent to cut
    is needed as it is a land conversion and the cut in under 10,000
    board feet and 20 cord.

  1. Town
    Attorney Maria Gavin forwarded a Notice of Discovery regarding the
    Roland Fernandes property was reviewed by the Board.

  1. Three
    applications for elderly property tax exemptions (Jarvis, Blake and
    Myers) were approved. Letters of acceptance will be mailed to
    those residents along with the return or destruction of financial
    documents submitted in the application process.

  1. A
    communication from an anonymous resident was reviewed by the Board
    in reference to a person possibly pumping septic waste on their own
    land, and a rodent problem resulting from a property on South Road.
    The Administrative Assistant will forward the letter to the Town
    Health Officer for action on the rodent problem. However, the board
    determined there was little to be done about the septic waste issue
    because there is no way to contact the writer of the letter to learn
    more about what they observed.

  1. Payroll
    and vendor payments were reviewed and approved.

General discussion ensued. The Board noted the return
of the laptop, keys, and credit card from the former Administrative
Assistant. Ms. Merrifield informed the Board that the Budget
Committee and Stephanie Jacques met on April 30, 2014, to discuss a
possible sale of the school building but because their meeting was
non-public, there were no details to share. Ms. Nichols noted she
had mailed the letters to those individuals who each received one
vote for the position of Overseer of the Poor. While one person has
already responded in the negative, the deadline for responses if May
9. Mr. Paquette inquired if Mr. Creasey from Otterbrook had gotten
back to the Board with a quote for some work at Town Hall. Mrs.
Merrifield will follow up with Mr. Creasey.

  1. OLD
    BUSINESS: None

  1. ADJOURNMENT:
    MOTION: Gary Patnode moved to adjourn the meeting at 8:45 PM

SECOND: Laura Merrifield seconded the motion

APPROVED: Unanimously approved

  1. NON-PUBLIC:
    Immediately following the regular meeting, Mrs. Merrifield moved to
    enter into a non-public meeting for the purposes of discussing an
    application for assistance, seconded by Mr. Patnode and unanimously
    approved.

The non-public meeting adjourned at 9:35 PM, and it was
unanimously voted to seal the minutes.

Respectfully
Submitted,

Jessica
Nichols

Administrative
Assistant to the Board of the Selectmen