Minutes of October 16, 2017

Town of Sullivan, NH Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes, October 16, 2017
Sullivan Town Hall

Board members present: Chairman Laura J. Merrifield, Joe Lewandowski and Jeff Burbank

Department Heads/Officers: Road Agent-Randy Smith

Staff: Kate Fuller, Administrative Assistant

Public: Mike Faulkner, Jim and Leslie Casey, Roger and Ann Sweet and Al Merrifield

CALL TO ORDER: Chairman Laura Merrifield called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm. Jeff Burbank made a motion to approve the minutes of the October 9, 2017 meeting, seconded by Joe Lewandowski. The minutes were unanimously approved. Laura Merrifield called the Public Hearing to order at 6:32.
 
Public Hearing-State Highway Block Grant Money-Chairman Laura Merrifield outlines the purpose of the funds, the restrictions for spending and stated that these funds are non-lapsing. Suggestions for use were made by Road Agent, Randy Smith around road improvements, hazard tree removal and the sand/salt shed fund. Discussion ensued regarding the use of the funds and the timing of the use of the funds. Laura Merrifield made a motion to accept the funds totaling $33,289.92 and to expend them in accordance with applicable State Statutes. Vote was in the affirmative. Public Hearing closed at 6:45. The Board resumed their regular meeting immediately following the Public Hearing.  
PUBLIC COMMENT-None

SELECTMEN’S BUSINESS:

Mike Faulkner-Septic Designer-Septic Plan-Mr. Faulkner proposed a septic plan for a failed system at 436 Valley Road. Permit was reviewed and the proposed plan was approved by Board.

Tax rate Setting Discussion-The Board reviewed two options relating to the 2017 tax rate. One with the use of fund balance and one without the use of fund balance. The Board voted unanimously to use fund balance to offset the 2017 tax rate.

Clean up deadline extension request-62 Ellis Road-An e-mail from Attorney Stephen Bragdon was received through the Town Attorney asking for cleanup deadline extensions. This referred to three deadlines set out in the August 31, 2017 Amended Stipulations. For Stipulation A, the Board found, after the Attorney’s inspection, that although the structures were demolished the debris was not removed as required. Of the remaining requests, the Board was not in favor of giving an extension for Stipulation B but was willing to extend the deadline on Stipulation C for six months until June 2018.

Financial Reports with expense adjustments-September-Three expense adjustments were reviewed and the full report will be presented at the next meeting.
 
Payroll, Vendor Payments and Purchase Orders-Purchase orders and manifest approved as submitted.
                                
Miscellaneous/General Discussion-Report from Deputy Caleb Dodson about stops on Rt. 9. Deputy Dodson reports that the Sheriff patrols all roads in Town and that there are more stops on Rt. 9 because of higher traffic volumes and more violations on that road. Reminder for the newsletter deadline, received. SWRPC Highlights, received.

Board of Selectmen-General Discussion-Joe Lewandowski mentioned that rules around posting on properties in current use should be in the newsletter, Laura Merrifield will draft something. Joe

Page 2 BOS 10/16/17

Lewandowski also brought up congested parking at 14 Rugg Road. Kate will follow up with Road Agent-Randy Smith. Reminder that next Tuesday the 24th there will be a site inspection at 267 Centre Street.

NON-PUBLIC: None                            
                        
ADJOURNMENT:                                                                  
MOTION: Laura Merrifield moved to adjourn the meeting at 8:17 pm.  

SECOND: Jeff Burbank
                                    
APPROVED: Unanimously approved.         

Respectfully Submitted,
                
Katherine M. Fuller
Administrative Assistant for the Board of Selectmen