Minutes of October 29, 2018

Town of Sullivan, NH 
Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes, October 29, 2018
Sullivan Town Hall

Board members present: Laura Merrifield, Jeff Burbank and Marsha Cook 

Department Heads/Officers: Road Agent Todd Smith

Staff: None

Public: None

CALL TO ORDER: Chairman Laura Merrifield called the meeting to order at 6:00. Marsha Cook made a motion to approve the minutes of the October 22nd, 2018 meeting, seconded by Laura Merrifield. The minutes were unanimously approved as amended.

PUBLIC COMMENT: None. 

SELECTMEN’S BUSINESS:

Highway Budget and Capital Reserves for review – Todd Smith presented the budget for the coming year.  

Wages, Medical, Social Security, Retirement, Worker’s Compensation and Phone:To be completed by Selectmen. The Road Agent suggested the hourly wages of both full time positions in the highway department be equal.  

Contracted Services: The $10,000 request is 1/2 for mowing and 1/2 for tree removal. There are 22 miles of road which equals 44 miles of roadside cutting.  Only 1/3 of the town was mowed last year. The reason the request is up over last year is to rent two machines.

Electric and Propane: To be completed by Selectmen.

Building Maintenance: The $5,000 request would be used to enclose the end of the addition, plus pump the septic. The trusses for the addition have already been purchased. It is intended to install the trusses and put on a roof by 12/31/18.  

Equipment Rental: Includes the rental of a small roller.

Publish/Printing:  For standard required road postings.

Dues: For various Road Agent association fees.

Office Supplies:  For standard supplies such as paper and ink.

Safety Supplies: This is a new line item and would cover the purchase of hard hats, safety vests, etc.  

Small Tool Repair: For repair to blowers, chainsaws and other small engine equipment.

Diesel: To be completed by Selectmen, though it was noted the price of diesel was recently quoted as 15 cents per gallon over the vendor’s final cost.  For comparison, the price of diesel delivered as of October 18 was $2.64 a gallon.

Vehicle Repair: None planned at present.

Equipment Repair: There is some additional work to be done on the backhoe.  

Radio Repair:  None planned at present.

Drug&Alcohol Program:  Includes standard, random testing.

Training:  There are a variety of day courses offered by UNH that would be beneficial.

Culverts:  This line would cover the permit fee ($5,500) and culvert ($1,500) for Cross Road. Since this is a wetland it is necessary to acquire a special permit from the State.  The Road Agent estimates this permit will be about the same price as was the one for Boynton Road. The Road Agent stated the Town needs to replace 10 culverts a year to stay current.

Small Tools: The department would like to purchase a pole pruner.

Bridge&Guard Rail: In the event replacements are needed.

Roadpatch: There was little roadpatch done during 2018 primarily due to the attention necessary for the Hubbard Road project. Much of the funds for this line item were re-routed to cover necessary salt purchases.  For 2019 it is planned to work on Gilsum Road. Shim material is about $1,000 a truck load plus roller rental.  It is intended to overlay Gilsum Road as well.

Signs:  Signs are replaced on an as-needed basis.

Gravel:  This line item is for replacing what gravel gets lost every year due to plowing, traffic and weather conditions.

Oxygen:  Used for welding supplies and tank.

Salt:  This line item was overspent last year primarily due to weather. Selectmen will look further into this to determine if some expenses were erroneously applied to 2018.  There are 5 loads on hand presently so future over expenditure will be minimized.  

Calcium:  The highway department is switching over from bags of calcium to liquid.  There is a 500 gallon tank that can be used but it may be too small to effectively process the liquid calcium.  It is possible the department will purchase a 1,000 gallon tank.

Sand:  The highway department tries to keep 1,400 yards on hand.  The current cost is $14.00/yard.

New Equipment:  It is anticipated to purchase a York rake with wheels (for balance) and a 65 inch rock bucket.  Estimated cost is $4,200 - $5,000 and $1,700 (plus shipping) respectively.

Special Projects:  The preliminary quote to pave Hubbard Road (9/10’s of a mile) with 4 inches of material is $180,000 if oil prices do not go up.  It is believed there may be unspent highway block aid that may be used to offset this cost.

Capital Reserves:  The road agent stressed the importance of getting sand and salt supplies under cover.  Consequently he is requesting no contribution to the equipment fund for 2019 only but instead increasing the contribution to the sand/salt building capital reserve.  The plan is to pour a foundation, complete with floor and drainage, in 2019 with sides and roof later.  The size would be 60’ x 60’ with 12 foot high, 12 inch thick walls.  The estimated cost for 2019 is $30,000.  There is already about $10,000 in the account.  

Additionally, the capital reserve for reconstruction/resurfacing of roads would be used for paving the upper section of Gilsum Road.  Other funds from the roadpatch line (operating) would be used toward this same project.  

General discussion ensued about (1) possible replacement or upgrade of the overhead propane heaters in the garage and re-staining the exterior of the building as part of the Town Building Major Repairs capital reserve, (2) cell phone costs, (3) computer replacement at highway garage, (4) testing the generator behind town hall and (5) updating the garage inventory.

The budget presentation ended at 7:20 PM and the Board continued on with its regular meeting.   

Draft Approval of Audit - The requested changes were made to the Approval of Audit form and the Board signed it. 

Fuel Contract-Davis Oil - This contract covers the Fire Department’s oil from October 1st, 2018 through June 30th, 2019. This contract was in response to an RFP. The Board signed the contract.

Cheshire County Sheriff’s Department 2019 Contract - This contract covers the Cheshire County Sheriff’s services from January 1st, 2019 through December 31st, 2019. This is for an average of 17.5 hours per week. The Board signed the contract.

Plodzik and Sanderson three year Audit contract - This contract covers the Town’s financial Audits for the calendar years of 2018, 2019 and 2020. This contract was in response to an RFP. The Board signed the contract.

Report on inspection of 267 Centre Street – Jeff Burbank reported on the site inspection conducted on 10/24/18.  The clutter on the property has been greatly reduced. The property has met most of the conditions set by the Board to successfully cleanup the property. Laura Merrifield will follow up with Mary to ensure that the car carrier has been properly registered. The Board will continue to monitor the property but has no further actions planned at this time.  A letter to Mr. Forrest will be reviewed at the next meeting.  

Payroll, Vendor Payments and Purchase Orders-Purchase orders and manifest approved as submitted.  A question arose about 2 E-pay entries. It will be followed up on for the next meeting.

Miscellaneous/General Discussion
Intent to cut from the Rokes’ at 96 Ferrybrook Road - received - signed
Advertisement in the Sentinel - the advertisement did not match the submitted paperwork. The Sentinel responded with suggested corrective actions of adding "Available to work Monday nights" and 17 hour per week.   Laura to follow up.

The handyman looked at the floor under the furnace. The floor is level. This was therefore not the reason for the pitch on the furnace changing.  He recommended purchasing a dehumidifier.  The Board will consider this if the problem persists.

The Highway department is going to winter hours (7am -3pm M-F) starting 10/29.  

An Abatement request for 321 Valley Road was received and forwarded to Avatar

The Board received an email from the office of Gary Kinyon in regards to the Arlen drive property. The email was a transcript of a request for an extension of the bid deadline for various reasons from an interested party. The board declined the request for an extension of the bid deadline because it would be unfair to other interested parties. The Board will offer an opportunity to view the property prior to the bid deadline.   

Southwest Regional Highlights – received

Board of Selectmen-General Discussion
Marsha Cook had some questions about covering the Selectmen’s office and Town Hall until a new Administrative Assistant can be hired.  A more formal plan will be worked out but for the time being Marsha and Laura with possible help from the Clerk’s office will cover the Selectmen’s office and perform many of the administrative tasks and Jeff will be taking minutes of the meetings.

ADJOURNMENT:

MOTION: Jeff Burbank moved to adjourn the meeting at 8:36 pm.
SECOND: Marsha Cook

Respectfully submitted,

Jeff Burbank and Laura Merrifield
Selectmen