Minutes of October 8, 2018

Town of Sullivan, NH 
Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes, October 8, 2018
Sullivan Town Hall

Board members present: Laura Merrifield, Jeff Burbank and Marsha Cook 

Department Heads/Officers: Road Agent Todd Smith and Planning Board Chairman Leslie Casey

Staff: Kate Fuller, Administrative Assistant

Public: Mark Jackson

CALL TO ORDER: Chairman Laura Merrifield called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm. Jeff Burbank made a motion to approve the minutes of the October 1, 2018 meeting, seconded by Marsha Cook. The minutes were unanimously approved as amended. 

PUBLIC COMMENT: Mark Jackson came to request the Board sign his new Intent to Cut for Map 1 Lot 19. The Board signed the Intent to Cut and Mr. Jackson will be able to pick the intent up after confirmation with the Tax Collector that the outstanding Timber Warrant for the property on Gilsum Road has been paid. Mr. Jackson also agreed to bring in his cutting contract with the owner. 
 
SELECTMEN’S BUSINESS:

Todd Smith Road Agent-Hubbard Road-Todd Smith came in to inform the Board that there is still a lot of ledge that needs to be removed and he also wants to lower the grade of the road. He presented three quotes for consideration and BC Construction was selected to complete this work. Todd has submitted to the Planning Board a request for a curb cut at the Highway garage. The purpose of this is better access to materials. A site walk will be scheduled. A mirror at the intersection of Centre and Valley Road was also discussed. The State is not planning on a light at that location and is not interested in installing a mirror. Todd will drive by and look at the intersection and make recommendations. 

Leslie Casey Planning Board Chairman-Community Planning Ordinance amendment draft-Chairman Casey walked the Board through the amendments one by one. She stated that the goal of these changes is to align Town ordinances with the Master Plan. She also shared draft warrant articles that would reflect the proposed changes and a newsletter article so that residents could be informed of proposed changes. 

Fuel Bids for selection-Postponed until next meeting. 

Contract from George Sansoucy for providing general consulting revaluation service-expert witness-Laura Merrifield spoke to Mr. Sansoucy to discuss the possible costs of using/not using his company. The Board resolved after Laura’s report that continuing the litigation with PSNH was in the best financial interest of the Town illustrated with a spread sheet showing different courses of action and their financial implications. 

Payroll, Vendor Payments and Purchase Orders-Purchase orders approved as submitted; no manifest due to holiday.

Tax Rate setting-Laura Merrifield received notification from the Department of Revenue Administration that all of the requirements were satisfied and the tax rate could be set. Laura presented different possible scenarios. A rate was chosen by consensus vote and Laura will notify the DRA so that they can approve the tax rate. 

Miscellaneous/General Discussion
Kate reported that she took advantage of an office supply sale and ordered the supplies needed for the fall and the Town Report.

MRI sent an e-mail to clarify dates for the new contract. The Board asked that the contract start on January 1, 2019 and Kate will communicate that date to them. 
Kate clarified the Land Use Change Tax for the MS-1. The portion of the report that addresses that section is asking for the prior year’s numbers. The report was uploaded into the portal. 
Kate clarified with Mrs. Mc Byrne and they are not using any portion of their timber cut for the production of maple syrup. 
Kate spoke to Ashley Miller of Plodzik and Sanderson to provide some information and get some clarification around the governance letter and audit comments. Kate reviewed the Boards feedback with Ashley and reported that two of the cited issues have been resolved and one has had considerable progress. Ashley will send amended documents. 
Schedule for inspection-267 Centre Street; Jeff Burbank and Marsha Cook will send available times to the office.
Trustees reports for September, received.

Board of Selectmen-General Discussion
The Board would like to have a meeting with the Sheriff before the end of the year to clarify expectations and discuss the frequency of stops on Rt. 9. 
Laura Merrifield spoke to Gary Roberge of Avitar about two pending abatements with Fairpoint. He is recommending that the Town settle these abatements and will have a recommendation letter to the Board.
Laura Merrifield communicated with Susan Harrington and Carol Jameson, both of Richmond, NH about a variety of municipal issues relating to questions that they had about the practices of neighboring towns. 

ADJOURNMENT:
MOTION: Jeff Burbank moved to adjourn the meeting at 9:12 pm.
SECOND: Marsha Cook
APPROVED: Unanimously approved. 

Respectfully Submitted,

Katherine M. Fuller
Administrative Assistant for the Board of Selectmen