Minutes of September 10, 2018

Town of Sullivan, NH 
Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes, September 10, 2018
Sullivan Town Hall

Board members present: Laura Merrifield, Jeff Burbank and Marsha Cook 

Department Heads/Officers: Planning Board Chairman Leslie Casey

Staff: Kate Fuller, Administrative Assistant

Public: Keith and Crystal Rokes and Tom Forrest

CALL TO ORDER: Chairman Laura Merrifield called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm. Jeff Burbank made a motion to approve the minutes of the August 27, 2018 meeting, seconded by Marsha Cook. The minutes were unanimously approved as amended. 

PUBLIC COMMENT: None
 
SELECTMEN’S BUSINESS:

State Senator Jay Kahn-Senator Kahn came to the meeting to thank the Board for their service and to let them know about three major areas of concern to him in the State Legislative process. These were the Broadband Initiative that would increase the communication capabilities in the Monadnock region. The Senator spoke to the Mobility Challenge that addresses areas of the State that have less than 4G availability. Citizens can use devices to measure broadband as part of this challenge. He addressed disaster relief and asked to be copied on any communications if there is a disaster in Sullivan. He addressed road construction and updated the Board on the RT 9 project and the timeline which will be through the winter and into next summer; he also said that he would be able to give the Town progress reports on this project. Leslie Casey Planning Board Chairman expressed frustration around the States schedule of repairing roads. She feels that there should be better scheduling and more complete repairs instead of stop gap measures. Senator Kahn asked the Board to share their concerns. Laura Merrifield expressed a concern about school safety. He explained what funds are available and how each school creates a security plan in concert with Homeland Security. Laura Merrifield thanked Senator Kahn for attending. 

Septic Plan for approval-96 Ferry Brook Road Map 5 Lot 20-Septic designer Tom Forrest presented the plans for this property; approved by the Board. Mr. Forrest also provided plans to be included in property reference folders for two other failed septic systems; 214 Valley Road Map 4 lot 29 and 197 Gilsum Road Map 3 Lot 8. 

CDBG Mortgage release for signature-The Board reviewed this mortgage release and signed the discharge for 211 South Road Map 3 Lot 90. 

Acknowledgement of Financial Reports and adjusting expenses-August-reviewed and acknowledged by the Board. 

Payroll, Vendor Payments and Purchase Orders-Purchase orders and manifest approved as submitted, one code will be changed. 

Miscellaneous/General Discussion
Discussion around how land acquired through eminent domain by the State should be reflected on property parcels. It was concluded, based on a communication from the assessor that some properties would not have a separate parcel identification. 
NHMA Workshops-a brochure of several upcoming workshops was received. If anyone on the Board is interested in attending Kate will forward the information. 
E-mail from Eversource regarding the use of drones in assessing damage on power lines and transformers, received. 
Septic plan for failed system, Map 4 Lot 29-215 Valley Road, received. 

MS-1 extension request approved from the DRA, confirmation received. 
Check for the Stoddard plowing, received. 
Election dates confirmed for November 6th. 
Copy of letter from the Planning Board to Bradley Brock confirming that all of the conditions of the boundary line adjustment have been met.
Department of Revenue Administration letter regarding the Mosaic parcel map follow up. Kate uploaded the parcels to the Mosaic system and the Town will update it when the property maps have been updated. 
E-mail from Jae Whitelaw of Mitchell Municipal Group reporting that there was a Notice of Appeal filed with the NH Supreme Court for Fairpoint. 
SWRPC Highlights, received. 
Cheshire County Sheriff’s Log, received. 
Invitation to a Public Forum on Education Funding from SAU 29, Thursday, September 20th at 6:00 PM at Keene Middle School.
Update on scheduling inspection for 267 Centre Street. 
Follow up on dirt at the Post Office, Kate will ask the owner where the dirt is going.

Board of Selectmen-General Discussion
Marsha Cook had a question about gas inspections when installing gas appliances. Laura Merrifield told her about her recent experience. 
Marsha Cook will follow up on clarifying the new septic laws that do not require Town approval for a failed system. 
Laura Merrifield presented a form, approved by the Planning Board, to record voluntary lot mergers. Kate will make a file so this form will be available to the public. 
Laura Merrifield suggested a bid summary sheet for the Board to streamline the award process. 
Laura Merrifield informed the Board that Planning Board Chairman Leslie Casey will be coming to address the Board about proposed warrant articles for the next Town meeting. 
Laura Merrifield reviewed a recent boundary line adjustment for 96 Ferry Brook Road, Map 5 Lot 20 and Ferry Brook Road, Map 5 Lot 21.

NON-PUBLIC-Laura Merrifield made a motion to enter into a non-public session for legal purposes; seconded by Jeff Burbank at 8:22 pm. 

ADJOURNMENT: 
MOTION: Jeff Burbank moved to adjourn the meeting at 8:25 pm.
SECOND: Marsha Cook

APPROVED: Unanimously approved.

Respectfully Submitted,

Katherine M. Fuller
Administrative Assistant for the Board of Selectmen