November 18,2013

Town of Sullivan, NH. Board of Selectmen

Approved Meeting Minutes

November 18, 2013 – 6:30 PM

Sullivan Town Hall

Board members present: Gary Patnode, Mark Paquette, Laura Merrifield

Department heads present: Randy Smith

Also present: Nelson Police Chief Pratt

CALL TO ORDER: Gary Patnode called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM

MOTION: Gary Patnode made a motion to accept the November 11

th, 2013 meeting minutes as corrected

SECOND: Mark Paquette seconded the motion.

APPROVED: Unanimously approved.

A. PUBLIC SESSION: None

B. DEPARTMENT HEADS: Road Agent Randy Smith relayed a message from the Sheriff’s Department relative to a screen at the Fire Department that requires attention. Mrs. Merrifield will call Chief Al Henry to alert him. He also said the Sheriff’s Department wanted a key for the Police Department. Mr. Patnode will follow up with them.

The new truck and sander has arrived. The highway crew has been preparing it for use and will be insuring and registering the equipment shortly.

The Road Agent filed a "small quantity generator form" with DES as required every 3 years. This form is necessary because the highway crew handles small amounts of hazardous waste.

He also reported he submitted the 2014 highway budget to Mrs. Luebkeman and had received the FEMA documents confirming 75% reimbursement ($7,934.58) for expenses and damage incurred in the August 2, 2013 rain event.

C. SELECTMEN’S BUSINESS: Immediately following the Road Agent’s presentation, Nelson Police Chief Pratt stopped by to advise the Selectmen of an opportunity to participate in a Department of Justice grant for computer software if the Selectmen notified the Sheriff’s Department it was interested. He suggested that until the Town of Sullivan decided on how to proceed with police coverage it should at least participate in the grant application and there would be an opportunity to accept the grant funds at a later time should Sullivan reactivate the Police Department. Mr. Patnode offered to contact the Sheriff’s Department and advise them Sullivan wants to participate in the grant.

General business included approval of payroll and vendor payments.

Page 2 of 3 Meeting Minutes



The following issues were reviewed/discussed:

A communication from Bradley Law Firm regarding Junkyard Petitions. Attorney Gavin offered to contact both Patricia and Scott Alexander regarding their individual responses to the Petitions. The Board agrees that the Attorney should contact them and develop a plan that can be used to resolve these outstanding issues. Mrs. Merrifield will follow up with her and also invite Attorney Gavin to drive-by the properties later in the week.

A bill for legal services pertaining to the Antis variance.

A supplemental Notice of Intent to Cut for the Mann property on Sullivan Center Road was signed. Mrs. Merrifield will be preparing a warrant for the collection of the timber tax as it relates to a recently received Report of Cut on the same property. The Selectmen will sign it during the week.

A communication from FEMA regarding 75% reimbursement (discussed previously by the Road Agent) requires a signature. Mrs. Luebkeman will be following up.

Review of December’s meeting schedule. It was determined if there was little or no business scheduled for the December 23 rd meeting date, it may be cancelled.

Distributed a letter to Elaine Goodrich as discussed at the last Board meeting.

A corrected equalization letter and report from Avitar was received and filed.

The November 21, 2013 educational session was cancelled by Primex.

A communication from Avitar regarding proposed changes to the DRA 600 rules was accepted as informational.

A communication from Gardner Fulton and Waugh regarding the PSNH tax abatement was accepted as informational.

The approved State driveway permit relating to the Csenge property on Sullivan Center Road was accepted as informational, noting that a copy of the permit had been forwarded to the Planning Board.

Unofficial tax rate documents were reviewed by the Selectmen. Because the Town has two outstanding tax abatements that need to be resolved very soon, it was decided to build in $33,500 to be used to satisfy those abatements (overlay), knowing full well that this amount of money is an estimate and could be higher or lower once a resolution is met. The Board also decided to use $10,000 from the undesignated fund balance to offset some of the impact of the overlay amount. Once these changes are made, the State will issue the official tax rate so a warrant can be prepared and the Tax Collector can issue the bills.

Page 3 of 3 Meeting Minutes



The Board discussed how to prepare for covering the work done by the Administrative Assistant during her absence which may be for the next several months. At this point, Mrs. Luebkeman has agreed to perform payroll tasks and other minor administrative work primarily once per week. Mrs. Merrifield will be contacting some firms to see what they might offer the Town on an interim basis. The Board also discussed holding a town conversation regarding the Police Department. While it is hoped to have that discussion in December, the Board is waiting for a response from Nelson before setting a date.

Mr. Patnode reported he had three pistol permits in his possession that had already been vetted through the Sheriff’s Department. Pistol permits are usually issued by the Police Chief but can be signed by the Selectmen once a background check is complete. For now, when an application is received, the application will be sent to the Sheriff’s Department for the background check portion, then sent to the Town for the issuance of the permit and collection of the fee. A selectman will sign the permit.

D. ADJOURNMENT:

MOTION: Gary Patnode moved to adjourn the meeting at 9:30 PM.

SECOND: Laura Merrifield seconded the motion.

APPROVED: Unanimously approved.

Respectfully submitted,

Laura Merrifield

Member Sullivan Board of Selectmen