October 7, 2013

Town
of Sullivan, NH. Board of Selectmen

Approved
Meeting Minutes

October
7, 2013 – 6:30 PM

Sullivan
Town Hall

Board
members present: Gary Patnode, Mark Paquette, Laura Merrifield

Department
heads present: Randy Smith

Also
present: Mark Smith, Officer Trevor Croteau, Karen Luebkeman, AA

  1. CALL
    TO ORDER: Gary Patnode called the meeting to order at 6:30PM

MOTION:
Laura Merrifield made a motion to accept the September 16th, 2013
meeting minutes as corrected.

SECOND: Mark
Paquette seconded the motion.

APPROVED: Unanimously
approved.

  1. PUBLIC
    SESSION:

Officer
Trevor Croteau of the Sheriff’s Department attended the Selectmen’s
Meeting to
answer
any questions that the Selectmen might have about a preliminary
contract for
temporary
services between the Town of Sullivan and the Cheshire County
Sheriff’s
Office.

Gary
Patnode advised Officer Croteau that the board had not had an
opportunity to meet
since
receipt of the contract and inquired what questions the other board
members might
have.

Laura
Merrifield asked what work was currently being done. Officer Croteau
advised that
work
being done involved cleaning up old casework files, removing old
evidence, shredding of old documents and handling current requests
for pistol permits and insurance accident reports. The Sullivan
Police Department answering machine has been updated with a new
message advising callers not to leave any phone messages and to
contact the Sheriff’s Department at 355-2000 or if an emergency to
call 911. The police department computer was also being reviewed.

Mrs.
Merrifield asked what type of flexibility there was regarding hours
of availability
by
the Sheriff’s Department and inquired what a “call out”
referenced. Officer Croteau
advised
that the Sheriff’s Department business hours were 8:00 – 4:00,
Monday through Friday, so anything outside those time frames would
be considered a “call out” and the Sheriff’s Department would
not be responding. Officer Croteau did share that there was one
officer who did patrol evening hours and that they were looking to
add another officer in November which would possibly allow for
additional coverage during off hours. In November it will also be
possible for the Sheriff’s Department to increase the number of
hours that they are available to service/patrol Sullivan. State
Police will respond during off hours.

The
Selectmen requested that an informational report be provided by the
Sheriff’s Office by January 15
th,
2014 for their review. The Selectmen agreed to discuss the signing of
the temporary contract later in the meeting.

Mark
Smith submitted a septic design for his Boynton Road property for
approval prior to submission to the Department of Environmental
Services in Concord for their review. Once approval is received Mr.
Smith will be applying for a building permit. He is applying
for
a driveway permit with the Planning Board.

  1. DEPARTMENT
    HEADS:

Randy
Smith reported that the October 2
nd
meeting with the FEMA representative had
gone
well.

Randy
is also working with Eckman Engineering to get a DOT form (Form 4)
completed which will address the rating of the new Ferry Brook
Bridge. If Eckman Engineering is not able to assist with this
documentation at no cost to the Town, Randy will request the DOT
assist with the paperwork.

Pricing
for winter sand is being reviewed. Permission to purchase this sand
was
requested
once the prices are in. Three loads of salt have already been
delivered.

Paving
projects on Valley and Bowlder Road are completed. Valley Road
required
additional
asphalt in the amount of $5,000.00.

Eight
loads of gravel was delivered to Bowlder Road by the Town of Stoddard
as part
of
an ongoing maintenance agreement between the towns. Six culverts
have been
replaced
on Bowlder Road as well.

Guardrails
and pavement on Old Concord Road need some work done to them.

  1. SELECTMEN’S
    BUSINESS:

General
business included approval of payroll and vendor payments and the
review of invoices.

The
following issues were reviewed/discussed:

Correspondence
from Eric White regarding a proposed hearing date on the
Brooks/Brown conservation easement was reviewed. The proposed
date of October
21,
2013 at 6:00PM at the Town Hall met with the Selectmen’s approval.

Risa
Keene’s appointment to the Sullivan School Board was approved.

A
Notice of Intent to Cut for Bruce Merrill was approved.

Timber
Tax Warrants were signed.

Purchase
Orders were signed.

Correspondence
from Upton&Hatfield regarding the Fairpoint appeal was
reviewed.

Correspondence
from Avitar Associates was reviewed. It was determined that a public
hearing to amend the Town’s pole licenses to include taxation
language will be necessary. Mrs. Luebkeman will inquire if
Avitar will assist that public hearing.

A
resume for the position of Chief of Police was reviewed. The AA will
acknowledge the
Inquiry
on behalf of the Selectmen.

Correspondence
from S. Smith of Gilsum Road regarding the status of the Sullivan
Police
Department was reviewed.

Planning
Board Meeting Minutes for September were reviewed. Mrs. Merrifield
distributed proposed changes to the Community Planning Ordinance
that were discussed and amended at the October Planning Board
meeting. In November, the Planning Board will be reviewing and
voting on the proposed changes that would be intended for the
March warrant.

Correspondence
from the Town’s attorney was reviewed.

Laura
Merrifield advised the other board members she recently learned that
if a portion of land going under conservation easement would allow
for future development the area/acreage had to be specifically
identified in the easement document.

Based
on an inquiry from the Tax Collector, The Selectmen discussed the
benefit of having the current Overseer of the Poor, William Dunton
attend a future Selectmen’s Meeting. Mrs. Merrifield will
contact Mr. Dunton relative to his availability.

In
light of Karl Wheeler’s resignation as Chief of Police various
options for law enforcement coverage was discussed. The options
included: contracting with the sheriff’s office, contracting
with the State Police, sharing resources with Nelson, our
Own
Police force. This discussion will continue at a future date. A
temporary contract for assistance/coverage from the Cheshire County
Sheriff’s Department was signed for the interim. Mrs.
Merrifield will contact the Nelson Selectmen to determine interest in
sharing

Resources.
A storage location for the two police vehicles will need to be
determined as continued housing at the Highway Department will not
be feasible during snow season.

The
Selectmen asked that a written estimate from Otterbrook Construction
be submitted
for
the work needed to install a protective window at the Tax Collector’s
office per the
State
of New Hampshire Labor Department’s request. A verbal estimate of
$350.00 to $400.00 was submitted via the administrative assistant.

E:
ADJOURNMENT:

MOTION: Gary
Patnode moved to adjourn the meeting at 9:50PM

SECOND: Laura
Merrifield seconded the motion.

APPROVED: Unanimously
approved.

Respectfully
submitted,

Karen
Luebkeman

Administrative
Assistant