From the Selectmen's Office

Board of Selectmen to Resume Weekly Meetings
Weekly meetings for the Board of Selectmen will resume on Monday, September 11th at 6:30 at Town Hall. If you would like to be included in the agenda please call the office at 847-3316.

The Selectmen’s meetings will be cancelled in observance of the following holidays:

Labor Day September 4, 2017

Centre Street – Proposed Resurfacing Program – 2017
The town has received notice from the State of NH Department of Transportation that they will commence work on Centre Street during the coming season. As proposed, the work will begin at the intersection of NH Route 10, in Keene, easterly to a pavement joint approximately 0.5 miles east of the Gilsum/Sullivan town line and will resume 0.4 miles east of the NEW Road, easterly to the intersection of NH 9. All totaled, approximately 4.5 miles will benefit from paver shim. Paver shim is a very thin lift of pavement that is used to try and fix imperfections such as wheel ruts. Though no specific date to commence the work has been stated, once a contract and schedule of work has been approved by the DOT, the selected contractor will provide written notice to the town between 7 and 14 work days in advance.

Taxpayer Assistance – Low and Moderate Income Homeowners Property Tax Relief -2017
The State of New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration offers assistance to lessen the economic burden of the State Education Property Tax for eligible property owners.
An eligible applicant is a person who is:

  • Single with adjusted gross income equal to or less than $20,000; or
  • Married or head of NH household with adjusted gross income less than or equal to $40,000; and
  • Owns a homestead subject to the State Education Property Tax; and
  • Has resided in that homestead on April 1 of the year for which the claim is made.

The filing period of tax relief is after May 1 but no later than June 30.
To obtain an application (form DP-8), property owners can contact the Department of Revenue Administration at (603) 230-5920 (press prompt 2, then prompt 2 again); or go online to ; click on forms and instructions, scroll down to low and moderate program; fill in the form; print it off and send it to the State; or stop by the Selectmen’s office for assistance in obtaining the form.

All Veteran’s Tax Credit – File by June 1, 2017
At the March town meeting voters approved the adoption of the All Veteran’s Tax Credit, in the amount of $250.00. This property tax credit is available to any resident, or the spouse or surviving spouse of any resident, who served not less than 90 days in active service in the armed forces of the United States and was honorably discharged or an officer honorably separated from service and not eligible for or receiving the optional Veteran’s Tax Credit. Usually the deadline to file for this permanent property tax credit is April 15th but if you are eligible and your application is received by June 1st, the Selectmen will consider it for the final 2017 tax bill.

Building Permits - New Requirements
Effective with town meeting, several amendments to the Community Planning Ordinance (CPO) were adopted.
The CPO outlines permitted uses, area and dimension requirements as well as uses permitted by special exception. If you are considering building in Sullivan, please be sure to review the CPO. It is available on the Town website or at the Selectmen’s office.
Building permits are now required for all dwellings, including accessory dwelling units, and for any other type of building, whether attached or detached, which will be over 400 square feet. Building permit applications may be obtained on the Town website or at the Selectmen’s office. If your building project is less than 400 square feet, you are still required to meet setbacks from the road right of way, bodies of water, boundaries of neighboring property, flood elevation, etc.
The building permit application process ensures that new structures and dwelling units will meet town criteria for density, dimensions, setbacks, etc. BEFORE they are constructed or placed.
Building permit applications are processed by the Selectmen, who have 30 days to act. Building permits expire one (1) year after the date of issuance.

If you have questions pertaining to the resurfacing project, State tax relief, All Veteran’s Tax Credit or building permits, please contact the Selectmen’s Administrative Assistant, Kate Fuller, at 847-3316 or